Help finding replacement for odd BB



dabac

Well-Known Member
Sep 16, 2003
2,298
288
83
52
Hi all,
There's a guy on a local site trying to find a replacement BB for his "Gazelle Olympic Race" road bike.
Current BB looks like this:


And sits in a BB shell that's about 39 mm inner diameter. 68 mm width.
What's this version called, and where do you get a replacement?
Other options?
(I think) Ashtabula-to-cartridge won't work. Looks like the wrong diameter.
Ream the BB shell out to take a BB30 press fit?
Scavenge a thin walled BB shell from another steel frame and bond it in there?
Could it be something out of the BMX world?

Thanks,
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
The 'Dutch' Gazelle? Because everyone knows a Dutch treat is no treat at all!

These folks should be able to assist your friend...God help him for owning a Gazelle.

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=common/home

Or...

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/branded-bicycle-parts/gazelle-bicycle-parts/gazelle-bottom-bracket/gazelle-bottom-bracket-new-model-cotterless-complete/
 

dabac

Well-Known Member
Sep 16, 2003
2,298
288
83
52
CAMPYBOB said:
The 'Dutch' Gazelle? Because everyone knows a Dutch treat is no treat at all! These folks should be able to assist your friend...God help him for owning a Gazelle. http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=common/home Or... http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/branded-bicycle-parts/gazelle-bicycle-parts/gazelle-bottom-bracket/gazelle-bottom-bracket-new-model-cotterless-complete/
Thanks! Don't think the OP had a clue to the origins of the bike. Neither did I. Any other nasty surprises lurking apart from the proprietary BB?
 

alfeng

Well-Known Member
Jul 23, 2005
6,723
254
63
Interesting ... Is the frame even worth € 28,95? Can't the bearings be replaced?
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
Quote by dabac:
"Any other nasty surprises lurking apart from the proprietary BB?"

Sadly, with little maintenance, Gazelles live damned near forever. Even their 'sporty' bikes were sturdy...in the tight-fisted Dutch tradition.

A Dutchman, a Scot, a Swiss and a Jew enter a bar and...(Hoping to offend with equal opportunity! Did I forget any nationality, religion, ethnicity, political preference, sexual orientation or species on the planet worthy of adding to the joke? Got to be politically correct these days.)

I would have the Gazelle owner send his photo and a complete description of his bike to the BB seller to make certain he orders the correct era/style replacement unit.
 

dabac

Well-Known Member
Sep 16, 2003
2,298
288
83
52
alfeng said:
Interesting ... Is the frame even worth € 28,95? Can't the bearings be replaced?
Don't know. I don't know the OP, I was just intrigued by an unknown BB design. But yeah, looking into pulling the old bearings off would have been my next suggestion if this thread had struck out. And the OP has already had the frame repainted, so I reckon he's quite keen to get it to a working bike. It doesn't look that bad though, nicely lugged an all that.
 

oldbobcat

Well-Known Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,233
194
48
70
Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Sadly, with little maintenance, Gazelles live damned near forever. Even their 'sporty' bikes were sturdy...in the tight-fisted Dutch tradition.

I heard, though, from a Dutchman, that when their bikes need servicing they just toss them into the canal and get a new one.
 

dabac

Well-Known Member
Sep 16, 2003
2,298
288
83
52
oldbobcat said:
I heard, though, from a Dutchman, that when their bikes need servicing they just toss them into the canal and get a new one.
Nah, can't be. Too many dutch people, too many bikes, not enough canals.
 

CAMPYBOB

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
11,945
2,086
113
No way!

The Dutch use their old bikes to build new dikes...or was that, dykes?

Anyways, all that pedaling in wooden shoes is what wears out the bottom brackets...splinters are hard on bearings.
 

Similar threads