Help first timer make a R/Chicken

Oz

Guest
I've decided to make roast chicken tonight. My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with a
few onions and potatos. Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken? Also, do I need to cover the chicken with foil?

I've had a look at a few websites, but nowhere seems to mention these basic questions.

Thank you

cut up the chicken and get some shke and bake followdirection very good

Oz wrote:
> I've decided to make roast chicken tonight. My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with
> a few onions and potatos. Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
> overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken? Also, do I need to cover the chicken with foil?
>
> I've had a look at a few websites, but nowhere seems to mention these basic questions.
>
> Thank you

No need to add the root veggies if you're roasting a chicken. That's more like for a stew or cut-up
chicken. If you want you can add them in a separate pan the last 30 minutes of baking.

Roasted whole chicken is simple. Place it on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush the skin with melted
butter or olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. You may also want to sprinkle cavity - OH!
make sure there are no giblets and liver and gizzards packaged up inside the cavity. You can use
those to make gravy (or not) but remove them before you roast the chicken.

Roast the chicken based on the weight... I usually bake a 3 lb. hen for about 2-1/2 hours at 325F.
In the last hour, brush the chicken with the pan drippings to ensure a nice crispy skin. Remove the
chicken from the oven and let stand about 10 minutes before you slice and serve (like a turkey).

If you want to get adventurous you can put a sliced lemon in the cavity of the chicken before
roasting. Or you can tuck sprigs of rosemary or basil under the skin along the breast.

No foil, unless the legs/wings start to brown too much before the rest of the chicken is cooked.

Jill

>From: Oz

>I've decided to make roast chicken tonight. My plan is to put the chicken in a roasting dish with a
>few onions and potatos. Now my problem is; when do I put in the onions and potatos? Will they
>overcook/burn if I put them in with the chicken?

Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm

Place the chicken in a baking dish breast side up, put in about an inch of water, slice onions aroud
it, put salt and pepper on the chicken and bake uncovered for 2 hours at 350 degrees. I usually
stuff the chicken. You can use the juices in the pan as an au jus gravey ( if too much water has
evaporated during cooking you may want to add a litle more). My grandmother never thickened the
gravey and neither do I. I have never coked the potatoes with the chicken. I peel and cook them in a
seperate pot of water on top of the stove, drain, mash and add butter, milk and salt. This is just
plain simple cooking. Almost a lost art nowdays but it does not get any better than this.

>Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies
>http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm

---------------------------------------
That looks like a great recipe, but I'm wondering about the length of the cooking time. 425 degrees
for an hour and a half seems awfully long. Maybe that's meant for a large roasting chicken. Anyway,
check at 1 hour and see how it is doing.

Nancree wrote:
>>Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegies http://toottoot.com/r_recipe_perfroastchick.htm

> That looks like a great recipe, but I'm wondering about the length of the cooking time. 425
> degrees for an hour and a half seems awfully long. Maybe that's meant for a large roasting
> chicken. Anyway, check at 1 hour and see how it is doing.

Suggestion: Try a thermometer for sure results. For my tastes, 425 is 100 degrees hotter than I'd
ever cook a chicken. I'd say to do them between 275 and 325 depending on size and how you want the
skin. Larger is lower so it doesn't dry at the surface too much. Hotter is crisper skin.

Test with a thermometer in the thigh away from bone. Cook to 160 to
165. Pull out of the oven, let rest for 15 minutes or a bit more and carve. Moist, tender chicken.

Pastorio