help for a German recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mike, Mar 24, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello my grandma used to make a german pancake and it had fruit on it
    or inside it not sure. but she used to call it something like grutz
    ada.. gruts ada but she has alzheimers now and she cant remember how to
    make it or the name of it. does anyone here know how to make them and
    know the real name? i searched everywhere online no luck. there is
    german pancakes online an many places but my mother says thats not it.
    if you can help me please email me
    [email protected] because knowing me i will forget where this group
    is
    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello my grandma used to make a german pancake and it had fruit on it
    > or inside it not sure. but she used to call it something like grutz
    > ada.. gruts ada but she has alzheimers now and she cant remember how to
    > make it or the name of it. does anyone here know how to make them and
    > know the real name? i searched everywhere online no luck. there is
    > german pancakes online an many places but my mother says thats not it.
    > if you can help me please email me
    > [email protected] because knowing me i will forget where this group
    > is
    > Thanks

    I hope you see this recipe and can ask her if this might be it (at least
    the pancake part).

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Pannekoeken

    Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3/25/05
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Entrees

    Pancake:
    1/2 cup Pillsbury all purpose or unbleached flour
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs (*or 1 whole egg + 1 egg white)
    2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
    Fruit Topping:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 Tbsp. orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
    3 cups sliced fruits and/or berries (strawberries --
    pineapple, kiwi,
    melons, banana, peaches - whatever)

    Heat oven to 425°. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
    In medium bowl, combine all pancake ingredients except margarine. Beat
    with wire whisk or rotary beater until smooth. Place margarine in
    9-inch (glass) pie pan; melt in 425° oven just until margarine sizzles,
    2 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from oven; tilt to coat bottom with melted
    margarine. Immediately pour batter into hot pan. Bake at 425° for
    14-18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. (Some margarine may
    rise to the surface of pancake during baking.)

    Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; mix
    well. Stir in orange juice and liqueur. Cook and stir over medium heat
    5-7 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens. Remove
    pancake from oven; immediately arrange peaches and strawberries over
    pancake and drizzle with orange sauce. Cut into wedges. Serve
    immediately. 2-3 servings. One-third of recipe (using 2 whole eggs) is
    460 calories, 145 mg cholesterol, 12 g fat.

    Source: Pillsbury cookbook #159, Springtime Brunches and Parties, May
    1994, page 21. *Made 5/8/94 using 1 egg white as substitute for 1 whole
    egg and couldn¹t detect any difference.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 322 Calories; 2g Fat (6% calories
    from fat); 2g Protein; 75g Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 298mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 4 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates

    NOTES : Pillsbury 5/94 booklet.

    _____
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <11117366[email protected]>,
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello my grandma used to make a german pancake and it had fruit on it
    >>or inside it not sure. but she used to call it something like grutz
    >>ada.. gruts ada but she has alzheimers now and she cant remember how to
    >>make it or the name of it. does anyone here know how to make them and
    >>know the real name? i searched everywhere online no luck. there is
    >>german pancakes online an many places but my mother says thats not it.
    >>if you can help me please email me
    >>[email protected] because knowing me i will forget where this group
    >>is
    >>Thanks

    > I hope you see this recipe and can ask her if this might be it (at least
    > the pancake part).
    >
    > Pannekoeken
    >
    > Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3/25/05
    > Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    > Categories : Entrees

    [snip]

    I was just about to try to find the same recipe and you beet me to it.
    Pannekoeken is Dutch (I think) and it might have a different name in
    German, so there's a good chance that this is what he's looking for --
    or at least close enough.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  4. Bogey0

    Bogey0 Guest

    http://www.wellness-gesund.info/Rez...nkuchen-Spezialitaeten-Apfel-Pfannkuchen.html

    On 24 Mar 2005 23:43:24 -0800, "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello my grandma used to make a german pancake and it had fruit on it
    >or inside it not sure. but she used to call it something like grutz
    >ada.. gruts ada but she has alzheimers now and she cant remember how to
    >make it or the name of it. does anyone here know how to make them and
    >know the real name? i searched everywhere online no luck. there is
    >german pancakes online an many places but my mother says thats not it.
    >if you can help me please email me
    >[email protected] because knowing me i will forget where this group
    >is
    >Thanks

  5. In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hello my grandma used to make a german pancake and it had fruit on it
    > >>or inside it not sure. but she used to call it something like grutz
    > >>ada.. gruts ada but she has alzheimers now and she cant remember how to
    > >>make it or the name of it. does anyone here know how to make them and
    > >>know the real name? i searched everywhere online no luck. there is
    > >>german pancakes online an many places but my mother says thats not it.
    > >>if you can help me please email me
    > >>[email protected] because knowing me i will forget where this group
    > >>is
    > >>Thanks

    > > I hope you see this recipe and can ask her if this might be it (at
    > > least
    > > the pancake part).
    > >
    > > Pannekoeken
    > >
    > > Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3/25/05
    > > Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    > > Categories : Entrees
    > >

    > [snip]
    >
    > I was just about to try to find the same recipe and you beet me to it.
    > Pannekoeken is Dutch (I think) and it might have a different name in
    > German, so there's a good chance that this is what he's looking for --
    > or at least close enough.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    I hope he sees it. :)
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

  6. Dana

    Dana Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > > Pannekoeken
    > >
    > > Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3/25/05
    > > Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    > > Categories : Entrees
    > >

    > [snip]
    >
    > I was just about to try to find the same recipe and you beet me to it.
    > Pannekoeken is Dutch (I think) and it might have a different name in
    > German, so there's a good chance that this is what he's looking for --
    > or at least close enough.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    Useless trivia: In the new spelling in Belgium and The Netherlands, it is
    written as pannenkoeken nowadays :)

    Have a nice weekend,
    Dana

    PS: This is not in any way meant to offend, reprimand or insult you.

  7. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    >> Pannekoeken
    >>
    >> Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 3/25/05
    >> Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    >> Categories : Entrees
    >>

    > [snip]
    >
    > I was just about to try to find the same recipe and you beet me to it.
    > Pannekoeken is Dutch (I think) and it might have a different name in
    > German,

    <snipp>

    Pfannkuken, is what I recall, the very best I've had are the apple ones
    from "the Original Pancake House" in Skokie or in Portland. Since it has
    branched out, I don't know if it is as good.
    blacksalt
    not sure if she'll ever consume so many calories in a single sitting
    ever again....