Help for novice please!!!

katwomyn

Jan 1, 2004
Hi All,

Pretty new to cycling (been plodding along for a year or so now). I am usually doing 2-3 sessions a week of about 30km per ride, averaging about 20kmph and rpm about 75. I'm happy with the distance but would like to increase my speed. I have started doing 1min sprints and 2min recoveries (only once a week and for the whole 30km) to try to increase my speed - will this help. Any other help would be appreciated. Any websites would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

doing your intervals only once a week may not be enough as any training has to be done at least 3 times per week to really give you results...

It all depends on wether or not you are prepared to suffer 3 times a week! but at least once is good to clean up the system!

Originally posted by zewol
doing your intervals only once a week may not be enough as any training has to be done at least 3 times per week to really give you results...

Who gave you this idea? Lemond was alright doing intervals once a week, and I'm pretty sure I get a training advantage out of my weekly endurance ride... intervals are pretty hard, and you probably wouldn't be able to do intervals much more than 2 or 3 times a week, recover, and enjoy it.

The only suggestion I'd make is to consider what you are doing the intervals for - a bit longer might be better if you want to gain extra speed over longer distances.

Good luck with your training!

Originally posted by katwomyn
Hi All,
just
Pretty new to cycling (been plodding along for a year or so now). I am usually doing 2-3 sessions a week of about 30km per ride, averaging about 20kmph and rpm about 75. I'm happy with the distance but would like to increase my speed. I have started doing 1min sprints and 2min recoveries (only once a week and for the whole 30km) to try to increase my speed - will this help. Any other help would be appreciated. Any websites would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Spend more tiem on the bike. If you want to do a 25' no piont only doing 30km rides know what i mean man.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

I use Troy Jacobs spinerval videos and am very happy with the results. There are several and I use the one called no slackers. http://www.spinervals.com/default.php It is very easy to follow and is set to great upbeat music.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you've made a good start already. Think about getting the basics right first, as these are the fastest way to speed.

1. Get your position sorted out by an experianced rider or bike shop. This will make you more comfortable, aerodynamic and make pedaling more effective.

2. Make sure your bikes working 100%.

3. Start practicing skills like... cornering, one and no handed, standing up, sitting down, sprinting and climbing. If you know you have a weak skill, don't ignore it find somewhere safe and have a practice. Get a more experianced rider to show you how.

4. Now you should start worrying about fitness. Get your diet and sleep patterns sorted.

5. Start analysing the riding you do now.
Why are you pedaling at 75 rpm? Most riders pedal at 80 - 100.
Try to ride at least three times a week and aim for 5 rides.
Leave intervals until you are feeling 'quite or very' fit.
Try to do some fast shorter rides (e.g. 30 to 45 mins) and some longer rides (1 to 2 hours) each week or every couple of weeks.

6. When you start getting fitter. Search this site for intervals for VO2max and LT, periodisation and getting a coach.

7. Keep having fun (this is essential... until you turn pro).

I've got to agree with 2Lap : try to ensure that you're cycling
efficiently before trying to build on the good progress that you've made thus far.
One issue does intrigue me - RPM 70.
This figure seems low (or perhaps you're using very high gears
(large front gear/small rear gear ?).
I would have thought that cycling a light gear like 42/16
(42 front - 16 rear) that you'd be able to cycle at a higher RPM ?

In relation to improving speed, you need to improve fitness.
Several schools of thought operate in this field.
Personally, I would suggest that you stick to cycling relatively light gears and build fitness that way, instead of trying to power
it by using higher gears (such as front gear 52 or 53).

All the others mention position, intervals, and measurement.

But ask any racer about getting fast, and they will tell you doing group intervals or practice Crits iswhat works.

The difference in speed between riding by yourself vs. in a group is totally different.

You will be finding yourself using different gearing, and when coming off a pull will find that you may need to ride for your life to grab the last wheel.

This will also help you to learn to stick on a wheel.

Also on alone rides try to find a nearby course with some climbing like 200-300 ft per lap, and do your intervals in climbing sprinting near the top of the hill.

Start with maybe 5 laps and work your way up to 15 to 20 laps.

Sonomap