Help for novice training for a race

Ssushi

Mar 21, 2003
HI,

I started road biking in Feb and am traininf for the Wicklow 200 in Ireland www.wicklow200.ie - the race is 200 km in the Wicklow moutains/hills.

I'm riding twice a week 50km and 60-100km and going to the gym once or twice a week atm but am aware that I don't have a strategy other than get fit. Also, I haven't reallt looked at my diet - I'm just eating my normal food which is quite healthy (rice, pasta, chicken, pork, salad etc..).

Does anyone have any advice or could you point me in the right direction (www.???)? The race is in June and I'm aware of the time constraints for race readiness....

Thanks for any advice.

Also, I have a relatively cheap bike (Lapierre RR sport) which is a nice enough bike but I'd like to have something lighter. Could anyone advise what's the best thing to do? Bike recommendations etc.. off-the-shelf or custom? I'm prepared to spend up to 3000 euro.

Thanks for any help

Ssushi

First of all, it's good that you've given yourself plenty of time.

You want to be comfortable doing 100km in the next few weeks, and then gradually work your way up. Here's one link: http://www.bikesa.asn.au/main_pages/TDU/break_away_training_tips.htm . It was for a 140KM reasonably hilly ride (not a race), but a lot of it could be applied to your ride.

As for the bike, I would have thought 3000 euros should get you a bloody good bike. Don't ask us, cos you'll get a million conflicting opinions. Get out there and do some shopping.

Have fun!