help for tourists

Originally posted by steve
Hey

there is some cool photos on your website, I take it there is alot of organised road racing in spain?

cheers

Yes loads . this month
ruta del sol ( andalucia , 5 days )
22nd , trofeo Luis puig ( Valencia 1 day )
24th , vuelta ciclista comunidad valenciana 5day

and that´s this month .
see www.volta-valencia.com
www.unipublic.es ( i think - they do the Vuelta de España and other races ) and that´s just the pros , we have the leval below called afficianados and a whole load of multi class nonpro stuff .
We´re organising our part of the the Volta Ciclista de la Marina on the 29th of this month ( 12 event series , winner on points )

Originally posted by el Inglés
If there´s anybody out there that needs info / advice about cycling in Spain contact me .

usefull web sites : translate with www.altavista.com
www.todociclismo.com
www.amigosdelciclismo.com
www.globeros.com ( watch out for pop-ups , banners on this one )

have a good one .

el Inglés UNION CICLISTA BENIDORM www.ucbclub.org :cool:

You're not admitting to being a "globero" are you dude?

How many riders do you get on the marchas ciclistas? Looks like some excellent riding.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
You're not admitting to being a "globero" are you dude?

How many riders do you get on the marchas ciclistas? Looks like some excellent riding.

Re the Marchas : we got over 300 at ours last year but the famous one the so called bone braker , has about 4,500- 5000 every year .

I am a 24 yr old Cat 1 looking to travel to Spain this fall on a work visa. I have a UCI Elite license. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about racing and riding for a Spanish team at this level? I would like to have some details worked out before I go, so I can concentrate on the racing! You can also reply to my email address, [email protected] Thanks!

Jason

:confused:

If there´s anybody out there that needs info / advice about cycling in Spain contact me .

www.todociclismo.com

have a good one .

hey! i'll take you up on that. i have two questions for you. First how to go about buying a decent bike in Spain, prefererably 2nd hand, and hopefully under $400. I'm probably arriving mid-may in Madrid. I'll be travelling around, and working on farms along the way, so I'd be interested in a tour bike or a hybrid. any advice? good shops. ways to find second hand bikes, or good deals on new ones. would i be better off to go to holland first and try to find a bike there instead. thanks very much for your help.

Re the Marchas : we got over 300 at ours last year but the famous one the so called bone braker , has about 4,500- 5000 every year .

Hi

I liked the traslation you made of the name "bone braker" for "quebrantahuesos". I think that the name referes itself more to the rare (in number) local bird called so.
Tough I must admit there is a intention to play with the both meanings. I can tell you is a real "bone braker"

bye

Originally posted by grifo
Hi

I liked the traslation you made of the name "bone braker" for "quebrantahuesos". I think that the name referes itself more to the rare (in number) local bird called so.
Tough I must admit there is a intention to play with the both meanings. I can tell you is a real "bone braker"

bye

that may be so but I just can´t spell " quebrantahuesos " with out a cheat sheet , which I didn´t have that day so ....and that is how it translates , sort of . Mind you they made it harder last year - mistake , major problems with most of the 5,500 entrants - this year back to normal (?) .

Hey,

I'm going to be spending 8 months in Alicante and I'm just getting into Triathlons. Was wondering if it would be cheaper/better to bring a bike from here (Canada) or buy one in Spain. Also wondering what a year old Olmo Equipe with Veloce components would go for if I sold it in Alicante. Thanx.

Originally posted by meg28
Hey,

I'm going to be spending 8 months in Alicante and I'm just getting into Triathlons. Was wondering if it would be cheaper/better to bring a bike from here (Canada) or buy one in Spain. Also wondering what a year old Olmo Equipe with Veloce components would go for if I sold it in Alicante. Thanx.

Really don´t know , prices here are cheaper than Britain but with North America so much depends on the exchange rates - at the moment US dollars buy few euros but that could change in the next five minutes , who knows ........
I would , personally , bring my bike as I would know it and it´s foibles but you could try looking at the prices on the web sites listed in the section here on Spain : these are mailorder companies and if you buy you my be able to reclaim IVA ( 17% ) a sort of sales tax as it´s for export but check as this isn´t my field and do remember about aftersales service and spares etc
Sorry I can´t help more but keep in touch as Alicante is only about 50 km away from here ( Benidorm ) and the ´92 world championship circuit is always worth a visit as it really puts into perspective just how good those guys are .

Road riding/touring in Spain? How are road conditions and safety for road trips around Leon or Sevilla? Or where is the best riding? Is renting a good road bike an option? Can you take bikes on trains and buses?

thanks for the offer
i will be traveling to barcelona for business the week of may 23
i would like to take a couple extra days for personal time and do some road riding
can you please recommend who i may contact in barcelona to join a group ride or a paid guide?
i was racing category 5 in the flat lands of florida before a broken collarbone 7 weeks ago (i am not back to full speed yet)
is there any chance i could rent a decent road bike?
thanks again
dave

www.todociclismo.com

have a good one .

Sorry can´t give much help to either of you but you could try contacting clubs / shops in these areas via the websites above or you could try contacting meta2mil the weekly paper .

I live in chicago, race cat 3 and want to race in europe well spain. but is work hard to find, i speak spanish, but don't know what area is great to live in (cheap) but not dangerous. i really can't find anything that would be helpful online but maybe i just keep passing it up. well this move would be by the end of the year any advice
thanks
cesar

[email protected]

www.todociclismo.com

have a good one .

El,

We've discussed this same subject in a past life : I am definitely getting my club down to Benidrom before the end of this year
(and your going to be buying the Sangria !!!!).

Bur seriously, I'll mail you about this privately.
I've had a lot of interest from my club since we made contact
initially (elsewhere) last year.

Originally posted by limerickman
El,

We've discussed this same subject in a past life : I am definitely getting my club down to Benidrom before the end of this year
(and your going to be buying the Sangria !!!!).

Bur seriously, I'll mail you about this privately.
I've had a lot of interest from my club since we made contact
initially (elsewhere) last year.

With good wine costing as much as 1,35 euros a bottle your going to have to pay for it yourself - I´m to much of a cheapskate . Be pleased to see you , this last winter has not been fun ; lousy weather all winter , viruses when the sun did shine followed by a fall and a seperated hip so now I can´t ride and I´m starting to get cabin-fever from spending so much time indoors .
Do remember that you can rent bikes here ( BH with 105 triple ) so if coming for less than 14 days it might be cheaper to rent ( bring your own pedals and saddles if you choose ) especially if bringing wife and kids who want the baggage allowance , plus the handelers can´t smash / nick your baby . see www.marcopolo-exp.es for details/prices

With good wine costing as much as 1,35 euros a bottle your going to have to pay for it yourself - I´m to much of a cheapskate . Be pleased to see you , this last winter has not been fun ; lousy weather all winter , viruses when the sun did shine followed by a fall and a seperated hip so now I can´t ride and I´m starting to get cabin-fever from spending so much time indoors .
Do remember that you can rent bikes here ( BH with 105 triple ) so if coming for less than 14 days it might be cheaper to rent ( bring your own pedals and saddles if you choose ) especially if bringing wife and kids who want the baggage allowance , plus the handelers can´t smash / nick your baby . see www.marcopolo-exp.es for details/prices

El,,thanks for this, amigo.
I'll tie in with you via private messages.

Originally posted by ccycling
I live in chicago, race cat 3 and want to race in europe well spain. but is work hard to find, i speak spanish, but don't know what area is great to live in (cheap) but not dangerous. i really can't find anything that would be helpful online but maybe i just keep passing it up. well this move would be by the end of the year any advice
thanks
cesar

[email protected]

In Spain you can live wherever you want, it's not a dangeorus country, guns are not legal. You just have to avoid some suburbs of some big cities.
Finding a job will depend on your skills, but I guess you could find a tourism related job, as you speak english and spanish. Try searching at www.infojobs.net or www.monster.es.
If any of you wants a ride near Barcelona (or in Cataluña) contact me, I can give you some good routes.
For racing I guess the best places are Pais Vasco and Cataluña.
Regards,
Gonzalo

Originally posted by gonzalovilaseca
In Spain you can live wherever you want, it's not a dangeorus country, guns are not legal. You just have to avoid some suburbs of some big cities.
Finding a job will depend on your skills, but I guess you could find a tourism related job, as you speak english and spanish. Try searching at www.infojobs.net or www.monster.es.
If any of you wants a ride near Barcelona (or in Cataluña) contact me, I can give you some good routes.
For racing I guess the best places are Pais Vasco and Cataluña.
Regards,
Gonzalo

Don´t know about the " guns are not legal " as most of the people I know seem to own shotguns and hunt regularly - mind you hand guns are virtually unknown and crimes with guns are very rare : they ALWAYS make the national news , the Spanish shoot off their mouths in an argument not their guns . Good place , good people . :cool: