Help, fork steerer is too short!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ryan Bates, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Ryan Bates

    Ryan Bates Guest

    hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Ryan Bates wrote:

    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts???

    That's an easy one. You need one of these:

    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=SM1975

    Sheldon "I Use 'Em Too" Brown +------------------------------------+
    | A good plan today is better than | a perfect plan tomorrow. | --David Mamet | (Wag the Dog,
    | Bulworth) |
    +------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
    FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    The piece that Sheldon showed you in his response will most certainly work, and we've used them
    ourselves on bikes at our shop. However, if you only need 1 or 2cm, are you sure you can't get a
    stem that has that much more rise built into it?

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Ryan Bates wrote:
    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    What do you plan to use to join a plastic pipe to a carbon steerer that's strong enough to take your
    weight and torque on the bars out of the saddle?

    Don't do that.

    Replace the fork with a CrMo steerer version or a threaded (quill stem) model if you want to
    actually adjust the stem height to a useful range.

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Ryan Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    Damn! Cut it twice and its STILL too short!

    Gotta hate that.

    You've got three options: run what Sheldon recommends, find a different stem with more rise, or sell
    off the too short fork and buy another one.

    I've got one stem with several (3-5mm) of stem showing above the top of my steerer tube. Doesn't
    seem to hurt it too much.

    I'd stay away from that PVC thing you're talking about. Not overly safe...

    Option three is the most painful, but is optimal for finding your perfect fit.

    Mike

  6. O Wtf

    O Wtf Guest

    "Ryan Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    PVC? For a second, I thought I was on some sort of plumbing usenet group, but then I came to my
    senses and realized you meant Plainly Very Catastrophic pipe. Don't do it, man! Unless you relish
    the thought of enriching your dentist after the apshalt leaps up and crushes all your front teeth
    that is. For the price of a crown on one tooth, you could probably get TWO new forks with uncut
    steerers - one to practice on and one to actually use! (With a bit of care, you'd have two usable
    forks.) Just trying to help you keep things in perspective...

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:42:58 -0800, "Mike S." <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >Option three is the most painful, but is optimal for finding your perfect fit.

    Option 3a: buy a threaded fork, and gain the inherent ability to adjust the height of the stem
    whenever you wish, without shims or spacers, and without having to buy yet another stem each time.

    Option 4: If the steerer tube is steel, and has a useful inner diameter for the purpose, take it to
    a machine shop and get it threaded. Swap the headset, install a threaded stem, and ignore the whole
    how-do-I-get-a-different-rise dilemma from then on.

    I think the OP is probably not going to find those options appealing, though. (But I would.)

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "WTF,O" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ryan Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit
    > > too short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height
    > > it's at now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a
    > > short bit? i was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm
    > > small piece of 1" round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any
    > > thoughts??? thanks!
    >
    > PVC? For a second, I thought I was on some sort of plumbing usenet group, but then I came to my
    > senses and realized you meant Plainly Very Catastrophic pipe. Don't do it, man! Unless you relish
    > the thought of enriching your dentist after the apshalt leaps up and crushes all your
    front
    > teeth that is. For the price of a crown on one tooth, you could probably get TWO new forks with
    > uncut steerers - one to practice on and one to actually use! (With a bit of care, you'd have two
    > usable forks.) Just trying to help you keep things in perspective...

    I can tell you for a fact that pavement DOES NOT taste good.

    I was being stupid delivering papers way back when, fell, now I don't have any front teeth.

    Yes, its a PITA I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life!

    Mike

  9. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Ryan

    It has been my experience that rising the stem 1-2cm does not make a very noticable difference in
    the feel/comfort. However, maybe that is just me.

    Cheers Jeff

    "Ryan Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

  10. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    [email protected] (Ryan Bates) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > hi, bought a nice bike on line. unfortunately the carbon fork steerer has been cut just a bit too
    > short for me, and i'd like to add 1 or 2 cm if possible. it's cut perfectly for the height it's at
    > now (half cm below top of stem). am i just screwed, or is there a way to move it up a short bit? i
    > was thinking maybe adding another 1cm spacer below the stem, then putting a 1cm small piece of 1"
    > round pvc piping inside of the stem to act as a fork extension. any thoughts??? thanks!

    Hi, here is a stem riser chart, that might help you determine what would work for you. There are
    road stems that will give you 5, 6, 10, 17, and ??? degrees of rise. What kind of stem is on there
    now? Have you thought about flipping it over, or is it already in that position? They do make 5mm
    spacers, so maybe between one of those and a stem with more rise, you can get what you need. Chart:
    http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

    Jeff