Help! Front Brake sticking...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wvcajun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. wvcajun

wvcajun New Member

I have just (sort of) completed a buildup (from scratch) of a Carbon Synapse for my wife. Everything was going pretty smooth, until the front brakes want to stick. I have new Shimano 105 all around. I added the little in-line extra brake levers on the tops of the bar at my wife's insistence. When I pull either lever, the housing seems to want to pull forward through the tape and then the brake sticks closed. I then have to loosen the pinch bolt on the caliper and the brake springs open. I reset and try again to no avail. Any Ideas? Everything is brand new. This is my second total build up, and besides, the rear brake is not having this issue. HELP!

MG

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

The housing BETWEEN the intermediate 'CX' brake lever & the 105 lever must be (!?!) too short ... that is, the end of the housing ISN'T fully nested against the lever's clamp AND/OR in the 105's handle AND you are exacerbating the problem by using electrical tape (because that was the recommendation popularized by someone-and-echoed-by-many several years ago for reasons that completely elude me).

OR possibly (?) but less likely, there is a burr on one of the ends of the housing OR possibly (?) the cable is kinked inside the section betwen the two levers.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Yep, cut and install all the housing so it's seated and long enough, attach brake cable to brake and squeeze levers to seat all the housing into all the 4 levers, then ensure it's still long enough then tape down.