Help..front derailer hell!



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Satchmo

Guest
I don't know what's gone wrong but I just cannot get my front derailer adjusted to get the chain
onto the largest chain wheel.

I have a GT I-Drive 4 mountain bike with a triple cog. I replaced the front derailer gear
cable...which took me a bit of time to figure out that I had to thread the cable thru these fangled
quick thumbyfinger gear change devices.

I had taken off the derailer (a Shimano Deore model) to clear the muck off it, but since replacing
it I cannot seem to get it to reach far enough out to shift the chain onto the outer ring aarrggghh.

If I physically push the derailer to what appears to be it's maximum extension..it still does'nt
seem far enough (?)

I have the high adjuster screw wound right out, I have made sure the cranks are torqued
down correctly

Am I going crazy..or missing something obvious here. Anyone ever had a similar problem ?

Cheers

Satchmo...gradually pulling my hair out.... :eek:(
 
T

Tony W

Guest
"Satchmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't know what's gone wrong but I just cannot get my front derailer adjusted to get the chain
> onto the largest chain wheel.
>
> I have a GT I-Drive 4 mountain bike with a triple cog. I replaced the front derailer gear
> cable...which took me a bit of time to figure out that I had to thread the cable thru these
> fangled quick thumbyfinger gear change devices.
>
> I had taken off the derailer (a Shimano Deore model) to clear the muck off it, but since replacing
> it I cannot seem to get it to reach far enough out to shift the chain onto the outer ring
> aarrggghh.
>
> If I physically push the derailer to what appears to be it's maximum extension..it still does'nt
> seem far enough (?)
>
> I have the high adjuster screw wound right out, I have made sure the cranks are torqued down
> correctly
>
> Am I going crazy..or missing something obvious here. Anyone ever had a similar problem ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Satchmo...gradually pulling my hair out.... :eek:(
>
>

Sounds like you've got the cable too loose (or do I mean too tight?). Tighten it of a little to give
yourself more room to play with.

i.e. physically pull the cable a bit more through the clamp before you start playing with the
derailleur adjustment.

T
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
> Sounds like you've got the cable too loose (or do I mean too tight?). Tighten it of a little to
> give yourself more room to play with.
>
> i.e. physically pull the cable a bit more through the clamp before you start playing with the
> derailleur adjustment.

Yes, too loose. That the first thing I would check as well. Cable should not be baggy when
derailleur is on inner ring position. If having trouble getting it taut, release cable, set cable
adjuster clockwise all the way, attach cable - pulling end with plyers, twiddle adjuster.

Other common problems are caused by poor positioning of the derailleur on the frame.

See the front mech instructions at: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

~PB
 
S

Satchmo

Guest
>> Sounds like you've got the cable too loose (or do I mean too tight?). Tighten it of a little to
>> give yourself more room to play with.
>>
>> i.e. physically pull the cable a bit more through the clamp before you start playing with the
>> derailleur adjustment.
>
>Yes, too loose. That the first thing I would check as well. Cable should not be baggy when
>derailleur is on inner ring position. If having trouble getting it taut, release cable, set cable
>adjuster clockwise all the way, attach cable - pulling end with plyers, twiddle adjuster.
>
>Other common problems are caused by poor positioning of the derailleur on the frame.
>
>See the front mech instructions at: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
>http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
>
>~PB
>

Thanks for the info chaps...I haven't sorted it yet but I'm going to have a look at the cable to see
if its the cause as suggested.

That parktool site is excellent...thanks for the link :eek:)

Satchmo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads