Help Frozen Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup side
    seems to be frozen.

    Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big ass
    wrench. And Yes I'm turning the correct direction...

    Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?

    If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Me wrote:
    > Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
    > side seems to be frozen.
    >
    > Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?
    >
    > If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...

    Someone else will undoubtedly provide suggestions. Let me give you advice for your future
    choices: go steel!

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Me wrote:

    > Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
    > side seems to be frozen.
    >
    > Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big ass
    > wrench. And Yes I'm turning the correct direction...
    >
    > Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?
    >
    > If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...

    heating the frame should help, Aluminium expands faster than steel. And dont bother with a wrench.
    Bolt the tool with washers and the crankbolt solid, put the tool in a large vise, and turn the
    frame clockwise
    :
    --
    Marten

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks guys, I bought a £1.50 mallet and whacked the heck out of my spanner. One big ass cracking
    sound later and guess what? Its out. Hopefully that wasn't the sound of me fracturing my bb shell!
    Guess I'll find out on my first climb!

    cheers for the advice!

    news:[email protected]...