Help Frozen Bottom Bracket

Me

Guest
Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup side
seems to be frozen.

Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
ass wrench.

Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?

If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...

-jason

you do know that some bb's fixed cup are left hand threaded.

Bob

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
> side seems to be frozen.
>
> Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
> ass wrench.
>
> Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?
>
> If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...
>
> -jason

"Shultz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> you do know that some bb's fixed cup are left hand threaded.
>
> Bob
>

> "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
> > side seems to be frozen.
> >
> > Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
> > ass wrench.

Bicycle Research products used to make makes a tool for removing frozen cups. Another way is to
attach the cup to a vise. Now you will want to find someone who has a machinists vise like a
Wilton vise.

> > Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?
> >
> > If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...
> >
> > -jason

Thanks guys, I bought a £1.50 mallet and whacked the heck out of my spanner. One big ass cracking
sound later and guess what? Its out. Hopefully that wasn't the sound of me fracturing my bb shell!
Guess I'll find out on my first climb!

cheers for the advice!

news:[email protected]...