Help! Frozen Stem in Fork

Desay

Guest
Anybody, I installed an aluminum stem in a carbon fork/steel
steerer tube and it's in tight. No way do I want to twist
the stem from the fork. I cut the stem from the quill to
remove the fork from the frame. There is about 3/4 inch of
the quill extended from the fork. After reading some methods
from Jobst Brandt I feel this may necessitate the skill of a
good frame builder.

Any Suggestions

Many Thanks

Larry D

Larry Desay writes:

> Anybody, I installed an aluminum stem in a carbon
> fork/steel steerer tube and it's in tight. No way do I
> want to twist the stem from the fork. I cut the stem from
> the quill to remove the fork from the frame. There is
> about 3/4 inch of the quill extended from the fork.

> After reading some methods from Jobst Brandt I feel this
> may necessitate the skill of a good frame builder.

> Any Suggestions

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8e.11.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

It's amazing to me that no one has come up with a boot
or adequate seal to keep sweat from getting down into
this joint.

--
Mike DeMicco <[email protected]> (Remove the
REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Mike DeMicco wrote:
> It's amazing to me that no one has come up with a boot
> or adequate seal to keep sweat from getting down into
> this joint.

Rather, it's not widely sought for and adequately
implemented. A mylar shim would just do the trick.

Sergio Pisa

Mike DeMicco writes:

> It's amazing to me that no one has come up with a boot
> or adequate seal to keep sweat from getting down into
> this joint.

For years Campagnolo and Shimano, as have others, offer
their threaded headsets with a seal in the lock nut. In
spite of this, they suck sweat into the interface because
the stem wobbles from side to side, something most seals do
not handle well.

The problem should vanish as bicycles in general switch to
threadless headsets where the stem is securely attached and
is not prone to corrosion in a fretting gap. This is the
main improvement this design has brought with it. The
threadlessness is immaterial and an unfortunate naming
appendage. It is the first bar stem since the days of yore
when Cinelli track forks had an expander at the bottom of
the stem and a clamp at the top.

Mike DeMicco wrote:
> It's amazing to me that no one has come up with a boot
> or adequate seal to keep sweat from getting down into
> this joint.

If you fitted the stem with a liberal amount of anti-seize
you could then seal round the top with clear silicone. It's
not so strong that it would stop you getting the stem out
again, and hopefully the need to regularly remove and
regrease it would be eliminated as there would be no
sweat/rain getting down there.