Help! Gitane vs Giant

artvanderlay

Apr 10, 2007
Hi, I am just about to get into my first bike purchase. I have decided to purchase secondhand to start with but i know very little about bikes currently. I have the choice of a 2004 Gitane Mach 1800 or a 2004 Giant TCR Aero. They are both asking around the $700 mark. I am only 172cm tall, can someone please advise which one they would think would be the best entry level bike for me, and last me for at least 2 years before i upgrade.
thanks.

artvanderlay said:
Hi, I am just about to get into my first bike purchase. I have decided to purchase secondhand to start with but i know very little about bikes currently. I have the choice of a 2004 Gitane Mach 1800 or a 2004 Giant TCR Aero. They are both asking around the $700 mark. I am only 172cm tall, can someone please advise which one they would think would be the best entry level bike for me, and last me for at least 2 years before i upgrade.
thanks.
PURELY FROM AN AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW, but I would opt for the Gitane because it appears to have a traditional, horizontal top tube ... IF THE PARTICULAR BIKE'S FRAME FITS YOU.

Some people "love" the compact frame design which is used by Giant (and, others) ... I'm neutral to indifferent on that design, but have nothing negative to suggest you shouldn't get a "compact" road frame .

AFAIK, both bikes have Shimano 105 components, so it really is a matter of whether the frame fits you or not PRESUMING they have a comparable amount of prior use.

I reckon you probably want a frame whose top tube is about of 52cm ... 54cm, maximum (unless you think you will be taller, later). So if either of the two bikes has a 52cm top tube while the other doesn't then the one with the 52cm top tube is the one you probably want ...