Help...Going to buy bike, clothes, etc new rider

steve26

Apr 2, 2005
I have followed cycling for years (dvd's of Tour de france, etc).....but never have been a rider.

Well i have put on 50lbs of fat over the last few years....I played division 1 football...6'4 250....now i am 300lbs. I obviously know how to ride a bike...

But now I want to get into cycling as I miss competing in athletics and i want/need to lose weight.

So how much do i need to spend on a new bike to get something middle of the road....how many pairs of shorts do i need, shirts, helmets

Tell me everything i need to buy...and approximate price

Also how do i find out about cycling clubs in my area, etc?

You can get a decent bike in the 1500-2000USD range that will more than suffice to get you started.

You will probably find that gear/clothing costs more than you expect. 100USD easily for jerseys and often a bit more than that for shorts. Then you'll need jackets and arm/knee/leg warmers, socks, base layers. Shoes/cleats can cost several hundred dollars. helmet can cost a couple hundred. lights may be 50USD, saddle bag/contents 50USD . . .. you get the picture. Because gear is so expensive I would recommend NOT blowing your whole budget on the frame/components and then having nothing left for gear :)

Congratulations for getting into cycling and good luck. It is a great sport, and if you are anything like me (or most people on this forum) you are a soon-to-be cycling addict!!!!

This is in line with what i was thinking...2,000 for bike and 1,000 for all other stuff....thanks

with 2 grand u should be able to get a real decent bike,helmet,some shoes,clipless pedals and a decent short and jersey to get u started

Geeeez. For that kind of money...you can definitely get some very good gear. Not that you have to spend that much. But you can!

100$ jerseys? sure. BUT WHY? Spend half of that and put your savings into some good shorts/bibs.

1 helmet will suffice. Go to your local bike shop for info on clubs. they'll have it all i'm sure. important stuff like gloves and sunglasses are a must. I've run into numerous bugs at 70km/hr that splatted on my glasses. Had gravel ping the lenses too. and my favourite tool....a bike computer. good for tracking progress and hell....it's cool to know how fast or slow you're GOING.

I'd buy a saddle bag too...make sure to have a spare tube in there in case you flat! as well as the other emergency stuff like multi-tool, tire irons, etc...

honestly. you don't NEED to spend 2000$ on the bike. Just yet. you CAN....but not necessary......yet.

good luck and have fun.

steve26 said:
This is in line with what i was thinking...2,000 for bike and 1,000 for all other stuff....thanks
if you buy everything in the one shop you can barter the price down its worth a try ..also i bought loads of jerseys on ebay at great prices got some at 15 to 20 euros 25 dollars reasonable quality ...good luck:cool:

steve26 said:
I have followed cycling for years (dvd's of Tour de france, etc).....but never have been a rider.

Well i have put on 50lbs of fat over the last few years....I played division 1 football...6'4 250....now i am 300lbs. I obviously know how to ride a bike...

But now I want to get into cycling as I miss competing in athletics and i want/need to lose weight.

So how much do i need to spend on a new bike to get something middle of the road....how many pairs of shorts do i need, shirts, helmets

Hi Steve,

I'm from Scotland but own a cycle shop, you don't need to spend too much and maybe go for hybrid rather than a road bike or if your going off road a mountain bike with front suspension. Giant have a realy good range and very good quality, the range is slightly different in your country but not much. You should go to the giant-bicycles.net website to find your local dealer who will help you. You also need a good pair of cycling shorts with padding ( or you'll be singing in a high pitched voice at Xmas) they can also be baggy with inserts, which are maybe more comfortable for strolling around, Endura is a good make and buy a good pair of gloves with padding too. Whatever you do get a good Giro or Bell helmet your brain is important! All of these don't need to be top end as these makes are all good. Most of all buy your bike from a real bike shop not a multiple who don't have the expertise needed for building and setting up the bike and they'll make sure you buy the correct size.

Hope this helps

PS There is no need to spend that amount of money, a good entry level road bike in Scotland would cost £475 and mountain bike about £300 , helmet £30 , Shorts £20, Gloves £20 - £30 , and a jersey about £30-£50. Not sure of the equivalent in $ but no where near that amount. I holiday in states often and they have same stuff!!!!!

Alexis ;)

steve26 said:

I've written two articles on my blog recently detailing general beginner cycling gear and specifically beginner road gear -- there's a link to my blog in my signature below.

As for cycling clubs in your area -- check out these links:

TCBC - Twin Cities Bicycling Club - The largest recreational bicycling club in the Minneapolis/Saint.Paul area (Minnesota, USA)

www.usacycling.org -- USA Cycling Clubs

I agree with others that, if you're price sensitive, you can get a beginner road bike that will serve your purpose for between $700 to $1200.

Have fun!