Help, help! Rust -- eek!

Mike Elliott

Guest
It's a bit dampish here in Southern California right now and the beautiful Specialized road bike my
beautiful fiancee bought me for Christmas is starting to turn orange in a few places -- namely, the
heads of the black-oxided steel bar clamp bolts on the handlebar stem are rusting. Put a drop of oil
on them to protect them? Any other ideas? Be a big boy and ignore it?

MikeE

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Elliott
<[email protected]> wrote:
>It's a bit dampish here in Southern California right now and the beautiful Specialized road bike my
>beautiful fiancee bought me for Christmas is starting to turn orange in a few places -- namely, the
>heads of the black-oxided steel bar clamp bolts on the handlebar stem are rusting. Put a drop of
>oil on them to protect them? Any other ideas? Be a big boy and ignore it?

Well assuming the fiancee can't be worked for another new bike, just put a drop of oil on it and
ignore it. Speaking of Southern California, I have to say I am so pleased to be here riding in
shorts in March that I couldn't care less about rust on my bolts.

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:CFe9a.33184$A%[email protected]...

> Well assuming the fiancee can't be worked for another new bike, just put a drop of oil on it and
> ignore it. Speaking of Southern California, I have to say I am so pleased to be here riding in
> shorts in March that I couldn't care less about rust on my bolts.

Please stop gloating. A few hundred miles north of you, we have to use leg warmers.

I read that [email protected] said in article <b443cg$1qnpfv$1
@ID-158300.news.dfncis.de>, . . .

> "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:CFe9a.33184$A%[email protected]...
>

> > Well assuming the fiancee can't be worked for another new bike, just put a drop of oil on it and
> > ignore it. Speaking of Southern California, I have to say I am so pleased to be here riding in
> > shorts in March that I couldn't care less about rust on my bolts.
> >

> Please stop gloating. A few hundred miles north of you, we have to use leg warmers.

Just in case this degenerates into the traditional "Southern Californians whine when it gets below
60 and where I live it's 20 below and I ride every day" gripewar, I just want to point out that 1.
my original post contained no gloating or whining about temperatures, I just mentioned that it's
kind of damp here in SoCal right now and wanted advice on preventing rust on some bike bits, so I
had nothing to do with any kind of gloating.

Flame on if you must.

But if you must, then 2. my dad always used to bore us kids into stunned insensibility with his
lectures about deep the snow was that he had to walk through every day to school. So be original.

MikeE

Mike Elliott wrote:

>Just in case this degenerates into the traditional "Southern Californians whine when it gets below
>60 and where I live it's 20 below and I ride every day" gripewar, I just want to point out that 1.
>my original post contained no gloating or whining about temperatures, I just mentioned that it's
>kind of damp here in SoCal right now and wanted advice on preventing rust on some bike bits, so I
>had nothing to do with any kind of gloating.
>
>Flame on if you must.
>
>But if you must, then 2. my dad always used to bore us kids into stunned insensibility with his
>lectures about deep the snow was that he had to walk through every day to school. So be original.
>
>MikeE

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/weirdalyankovic/wheniwasyourage.html

"Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I read that [email protected] said in article <b443cg$1qnpfv$1
> @ID-158300.news.dfncis.de>, . . .
> >
> > "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:CFe9a.33184$A%[email protected]...
> >

> > > Well assuming the fiancee can't be worked for another new bike, just put a drop of oil on it
> > > and ignore it. Speaking of Southern California, I have to say I am so pleased to be here
> > > riding in shorts in March that I couldn't care less about rust on my bolts.
> > >

> > Please stop gloating. A few hundred miles north of you, we have to use
leg
> > warmers.
>
> Just in case this degenerates into the traditional "Southern Californians whine when it gets below
> 60 and where I live it's 20 below and I ride every day" gripewar, I just want to point out that 1.
> my original post contained no gloating or whining about temperatures, I just mentioned that it's
> kind of damp here in SoCal right now and wanted advice on preventing rust on some bike bits, so I
> had nothing to do with any kind of gloating.
>
> Flame on if you must.
>
> But if you must, then 2. my dad always used to bore us kids into stunned insensibility with his
> lectures about deep the snow was that he had to walk through every day to school. So be original.
>
> MikeE

Yeah, but did he have to do it BOTH ways, uphill, barefoot and with a headwind.

Seriously, the the black oxide on the capbolts gets gizzed up when they are installed and rust can
start. Not a big deal other than the esthetics. You can replace the offending fasteners with the
same in stainless steel, gotten at Lowes, Home Depot or any good hardware store that carries
metric fasteners. Or you can do like I did when the various black oxide bolts on my motorcycles
started to rust; paint the heads (while installed) with flat black model paint! Model railroad
paint works perfect.