help!! how do i get this damn freewheel off!!

Mark Potter

Guest
help me!!!

cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel

ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted in place,
got the head of the tool in the vice pulling clockwise on
the wheel, am I doing it right? it wont budge!

please help!!! Mark

mark potter wrote:

> help me!!!
>
> cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel
>
> ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted
> in place, got the head of the tool in the vice
> pulling clockwise on the wheel, am I doing it right?
> it wont budge!
>
> please help!!!

This is a real freewheel, right, and not a freehub (in which
case the thing would uselessly spin without a chain whip)?

Assuming the freewheel is facing downwards, you're turning
the wrong way. It's a conventional right handed thread, so
think of the hub body as a bolt and the freewheel as a nut.
You need to turn anti-clockwise.

Lots of brute force required nevertheless.

oh right I was working on the assumption that the body needed to be screwed
off the same was as it freewheels ?
"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> mark potter wrote:
>
> > help me!!!
> >
> > cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel
> >
> > ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted in
> > place, got the
head of
> > the tool in the vice pulling clockwise on the wheel, am
> > I doing it
right? it

mark potter wrote:

> oh right I was working on the assumption that the body
> needed to be screwed off the same was as it freewheels ?

It freewheels anti-clockwise, and is tight clockwise.

mark potter wrote:
> oh right I was working on the assumption that the body
> needed to be screwed off the same was as it freewheels ?

Get a jam jar and imagine wheel is the jar and the freewheel
the lid. Turn it upside down. Hold the lid still as if it
was in a vice, then turn the jar anti-clockwise. Oh sod it,
I've got marmalade all over the place....

~PB