help!! how do i get this damn freewheel off!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Potter, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    help me!!!

    cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel

    ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted in place,
    got the head of the tool in the vice pulling clockwise on
    the wheel, am I doing it right? it wont budge!

    please help!!! Mark

    Tags:

  2. mark potter wrote:

    > help me!!!
    >
    > cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel
    >
    > ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted
    > in place, got the head of the tool in the vice
    > pulling clockwise on the wheel, am I doing it right?
    > it wont budge!
    >
    > please help!!!

    This is a real freewheel, right, and not a freehub (in which
    case the thing would uselessly spin without a chain whip)?

    Assuming the freewheel is facing downwards, you're turning
    the wrong way. It's a conventional right handed thread, so
    think of the hub body as a bolt and the freewheel as a nut.
    You need to turn anti-clockwise.

    Lots of brute force required nevertheless.

  3. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    oh right I was working on the assumption that the body needed to be screwed
    off the same was as it freewheels ?
    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > mark potter wrote:
    >
    > > help me!!!
    > >
    > > cant get the freewheel off my mountain bike wheel
    > >
    > > ive got the correct shimano tool and got it bolted in
    > > place, got the
    head of
    > > the tool in the vice pulling clockwise on the wheel, am
    > > I doing it
    right? it

  4. mark potter wrote:

    > oh right I was working on the assumption that the body
    > needed to be screwed off the same was as it freewheels ?

    It freewheels anti-clockwise, and is tight clockwise.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    mark potter wrote:
    > oh right I was working on the assumption that the body
    > needed to be screwed off the same was as it freewheels ?

    Get a jam jar and imagine wheel is the jar and the freewheel
    the lid. Turn it upside down. Hold the lid still as if it
    was in a vice, then turn the jar anti-clockwise. Oh sod it,
    I've got marmalade all over the place....

    ~PB