Help, i bust my bike

fondriest

Oct 2, 2004
Anyone know a way to get around a threaded star nut??? Just built a bike up and when i was tightening the cap on the stem it threaded. The only way i can see around this is cutting the steerer below the stem and scraping the forks :eek:. Obviously this is last resort stuff, anyone know a less descructive/costly method??

fondriest said:
Anyone know a way to get around a threaded star nut??? Just built a bike up and when i was tightening the cap on the stem it threaded. The only way i can see around this is cutting the steerer below the stem and scraping the forks :eek:. Obviously this is last resort stuff, anyone know a less descructive/costly method??
Can you tell if the star nut is turning inside of the steerer or if the bolt has stripped and is turning inside the star nut?

fondriest said:
Hammer the star nut down into the steerer tube and put a fresh star nut in, and try again.

After alot of nervous sweating and shaking i have sorted this. Thanks for your replies and advice.

The problem seemed to be that i didnt insert the star nut far enough, so when i tightened the top cap the bolt reached the end of its thread and then would come back out again.
So out came the hacksaw and i cut through one of the spacers allowing the stem to drop by a few mm which gave me enough room to saw off the top cap.
One new top cap and a star nut later and all is fine :).