HELP!! I need help to replace the gear cable on my Shimano gears!

john.cooper66

May 9, 2006
Hello, I know that I must be very stupid but I am trying to get my 'WESTON BARRACUDA' back on the road. However, it has SHIMANO SL-RS40 twist grip gear changers that seem to be a sealed unit. There must be a way to get into the twist grip so that I can change the gear cables. I am trying to replace both sides and the bike is 21 gears. Can anyone give me some advice.
Regards
John:confused:
p.s. my 1st time ever on a forum!

john.cooper66 said:
Hello, I know that I must be very stupid but I am trying to get my 'WESTON BARRACUDA' back on the road. However, it has SHIMANO SL-RS40 twist grip gear changers that seem to be a sealed unit. There must be a way to get into the twist grip so that I can change the gear cables. I am trying to replace both sides and the bike is 21 gears. Can anyone give me some advice.
Regards
John:confused:
p.s. my 1st time ever on a forum!

On each shifter there should be a small screw on the top of the shifter near where the cable adjuster barrel is that holds on a plastic cover that hides the shifter mechanism. Carefully remove those screws and the covers should come free. It should then be apparent how the cable can be replaced.