HELP! I realized the bike I bought 6 months ago is too big!

Doctor Morbius said:
Cheapie, not trying to gang up on you here but there actually is empirical evidence to debunk your previous post. Boudreaux and DHK are correct in this matter.

great. then maybe a "hey....there's evidence to suggest you're wrong."

not "just more nonsense."

kaian said:
I bought my first road bike last August. I didn't know much about sizing then and the guy at the shop basically just did the hub test and didn't make any other adjustments. Well, over time I noticed that it was uncomfortable for me to ride in the standard road position and that it was more than me just having to get used to it. I learned about crank length and switched my cranks to a smaller size (165mm) and I thought that would help, but I am still uncomfortable and now my tendinitis is coming back in one of my knees.

I found the site www.wrenchscience.com, measured myself and found out that the bike I have is way too big for me. I am 5 feet tall with a 27 inch inseam and the bike I have is a 2004 Specialized Allez XS which is a 50cm bike. I have standover room because Specialized uses a "compact" geometry, but the top tube and stem length is like 6-7 cm longer than it should be (yeah, I moved the seat far forward to compensate and found out that this could be negatively effecting my knees). Basically I found out that my size is somewhere around a 46cm (depending on how a bike company measures).

So, now I am pretty ticked off that I bought this bike and that the guy at the shop didn't even really help me out or adjust anything or even attempt to size me! It looks like if I want to continue enjoying this sport, I'll have to get something else. I'm just furious that I spent $ on a bike that doesn't fit!!!!! :mad:

Any thoughts or advice on this? Will continuing to ride a bike that doesn't fit be more likely to cause injury or strains?
I am sorry this happened. I am a bit taller than you, ride a 49cm frame, probably the smallest frame to handle 700 wheels. The shop spent a lot of time ensuring the right fit.
anyway-- a friend I ride w/went through something similar re: getting a frame too big (50cm) and now rides a 47cm w/650 wheels. she loves it--the "650 wheels mental block" is gone and she rides a bike that does fit.
re: selling your other frame--is there a local road riding club in your area? there may be a buyer therel ooking for a decent ride.

kaian said:
I don't think the shop will take the bike back and I don't think they have a "fitter". It's a small shop and I bought from the owner. Since then I have established a relationship with one other good local shop (where I got my MTB) and have found other good shops within reasonable driving distances. Yeah, I'd like to stay in the 700 wheel realm if possible. I figure I'll ask around and see what's available at other shops. It just sucks because now I have to sell this bike I just bought and I may end up losing money!!! Some shops take trade-ins, though I don't know if I would get my money's worth. Perhaps ebay...
if it is any help--a friend of mine, who is around your height, ran into the same problem w/her first road bike. She was properly fitted, rides a 47cm w/650 wheels and loves it. She was informed that if she went w/a bike that took 700 wheels she would run into the same problem of too big a frame.
The shop spent time and fitted her properly.

thought about selling: is there a local road cycling club in your area? may find a buyer there!

cheapie said:
great. then maybe a "hey....there's evidence to suggest you're wrong."

not "just more nonsense."
Why bother with evidence,when as you said,you were talking out your posterior anyway? Just use your hat to cover it up with.

tjocesq said:
if it is any help--a friend of mine, who is around your height, ran into the same problem w/her first road bike. She was properly fitted, rides a 47cm w/650 wheels and loves it. She was informed that if she went w/a bike that took 700 wheels she would run into the same problem of too big a frame.
The shop spent time and fitted her properly.

thought about selling: is there a local road cycling club in your area? may find a buyer there!
Nice to see someone staying on topic. :)

Yes! I am planning on getting my next bike from another shop where they spent about 20 minutes with me looking at my bike and then putting me on various other bikes to see approx what size I might be. They are going to do the whole "fit kit" measurement and fitting when I go back to actually order a bike. I think I will be getting a 43cm by Trek with the 650c wheels.

kaian said:
Yes! I am planning on getting my next bike from another shop where they spent about 20 minutes with me looking at my bike and then putting me on various other bikes to see approx what size I might be. They are going to do the whole "fit kit" measurement and fitting when I go back to actually order a bike. I think I will be getting a 43cm by Trek with the 650c wheels.
excellant!!! I am not much taller than you--I ride a bike that fits--quite a difference! I control the bike instead of the bike controlling me.

Yeah, I was frustrated because I couldn't ride in the standard road position (hands on brake/shifter hoods) for very long. I would have to change my position a lot. What I realized is my arms really had no bend in them and the handlebars were to wide. Not to mention, my seat was moved up to compensate and that led to improper leg position which of course = knee issues.

I can't wait to feel comfortable on a road bike and do some longer rides! I think my climbing and speed will improve overall because of what you (tjocesq) said - I will be controlling the bike and pushing it instead of the bike making me work harder to keep it under control, thus, using more energy.

Kaian I see you learned the hard way how important proper fit is. It is a shame that so many bike shops will put people on a bike to sell it, even though the bike is not the right size for them. I went through that through much of my life as basically a clueless occassional rider.

I'm older and wiser and have ordred for myself a bike with custom sizing because I'm in the 20% of the population for which no stock bike can be made to fit properly. Since you have finally found bike shop that knows how important fit is and took the time to fit you properly, I am happy for you.

I recently bought the cervelo P2 SL (black version) in a 48 with 650 wheels. I am 5'4". Is this bike too small for me? It felt okay on the road (only out for 2.5 hours). Can it be set up for my frame?