help i think im getting ill on my taper

jamesstout

Nov 7, 2006
hi all,
i have been feeling by turns terrible, very tired, cold and sniffy and then ok just ab it dopey in the last few days mostly towards the end of training and directly after then i feel ok after my gym session later int he day.

BUT today i went out for my intervals and flew out then as soon as i hit the first int i was feleign ****, hr wouldn't go above 91% then on my second set not above 85% started feeling powerless and cold. COuld be 'cos i dint eat any brekkie because i was planning on doing turbo then breakfast but i melted the roller on the turbo so i went on the road instead! DOes the fact that i couldnt get my hr up and that i had no power and that i feel tired suggest illness or overtraining (i had a really hard weekend so this week has been light - mon recovery tues turbo weds 2hr recovery pace ride today intervals) i have a race next sunday 11th and i CAN't be ill!

any ideas/miracle cures?
PS my housemates are coughing retching sickly fat arses i try my best not to share any plates cutlery etc but im worried i got summat off them. I take vitc, zinc and a mulit vit. recently i have been dropping a bit of weight (not dieting but not forcing myself ot eat)

Sounds a little bit like overtraining to me. I have felt like that for the past month or so, and this past week since I have been forced off the bike and out of the gym, I finally don't feel like that. I have a feeling that with as much as you are training your body isn't getting a chance to catch up and keep your immune system as strong as it should be. Take it easy for a few days- maybe get your rides in, but skip some of your gym time. or take a day or two off and be a lazy bum!! i know it is hard to do at the moment, but in the long run it might be good for you.
Also with a few days off your muscles will have super recovery time, and you might find yourself feeling stronger out there on the bike.

ehirsch83 said:
Sounds a little bit like overtraining to me. I have felt like that for the past month or so, and this past week since I have been forced off the bike and out of the gym, I finally don't feel like that. I have a feeling that with as much as you are training your body isn't getting a chance to catch up and keep your immune system as strong as it should be. Take it easy for a few days- maybe get your rides in, but skip some of your gym time. or take a day or two off and be a lazy bum!! i know it is hard to do at the moment, but in the long run it might be good for you.
Also with a few days off your muscles will have super recovery time, and you might find yourself feeling stronger out there on the bike.
i know i hate sitting on my bum tho! i might do nothing or a hour easy tomorrow i'll go on feel and skip the core work in the evening

jamesstout said:
i know i hate sitting on my bum tho! i might do nothing or a hour easy tomorrow i'll go on feel and skip the core work in the evening
do you hate a day or two of rest more than missing your race?

you're not feeling well, so you are going to pound yourself even more hoping that will cure it?

mattjf said:
do you hate a day or two of rest more than missing your race?

you're not feeling well, so you are going to pound yourself even more hoping that will cure it?
good advice when pout like that :) dont wanna lie in bed eating and be a fat lard at my race :) a few days wont matter i guess