Help identifying Campy Syncro shifters

Anthony DeLorenzo

Guest
I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
Syncro shifters:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=005

I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html

>From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one

might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?

Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.

Regards,
Anthony

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=005
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:
> http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
>From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one
> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.

Yes, the early (both Syncro and Syncro-II) Campagnolo index shifters
are, uh, not as well, uh, studied as one might expect given the source.

Both models work great in friction mode. Several shift inserts were made
for various combinations of 6 and seven freewheels with various chains/
changers (insert availability now is poor) If you are diligent, you can
get it to function as an index system but not as well as modern equipment.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg

With 8, 9 or Ten, I'd get a different shifter
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=005
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:
> http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
>From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one
> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.

Yes, the early (both Syncro and Syncro-II) Campagnolo index shifters
are, uh, not as well, uh, studied as one might expect given the source.

Both models work great in friction mode. Several shift inserts were made
for various combinations of 6 and seven freewheels with various chains/
changers (insert availability now is poor) If you are diligent, you can
get it to function as an index system but not as well as modern equipment.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg

With 8, 9 or Ten, I'd get a different shifter
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Nov 5, 2:25 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one

> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

Anthony: If someone outbids you, get these instead:
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/shifters_and_derailers#product=17-101

Andres

wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one

> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

Anthony: If someone outbids you, get these instead:
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/shifters_and_derailers#product=17-101

Andres

On Nov 5, 4:25 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...

Those look like the first generation of 8 speed shifters. Larger
cable
take-up barrel, but the same 2 G-spring design as the Syncro 2.
AFAIK, they
can not work with 6 or 7 speed inserts -- they pull more cable than
their
6/7 speed counterparts, and were not designed to work with every
freewheel/derailleur
pair you threw at them. 8 speed campy cassette, corresponding era of
rear derailleur.

The curved 8 speed levers with 2 G springs are effectively the same as
the Syncro 2, but
don't have the lift-and-turn collar that allows you to switch them to
friction.

The 3 G spring design is the same internals as the current barend
shifters, and work well
for indexing, but also do not have the easy conversion collar of the
earliest design. These
are the ones that can be converted to 9 or 10 speed downtube
shifters. The earlier 8 speeds
may or may not be able to -- I wouldn't try.

Painfully detailed stuff about the above here:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2007/05/last-gasps-of-syncro.html
-Jeremy (the syncro guy @ www.tearsforgears.com)

On Nov 5, 3:42 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> > I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> > downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> > ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> > stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> > Syncro shifters:
> >http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...

> > I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> > can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> > apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> > apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:
> >http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html

> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one
> > might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> > anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?

> > Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> > least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.

> Yes, the early (both Syncro and Syncro-II) Campagnolo index shifters
> are, uh, not as well, uh, studied as one might expect given the source.
>
> Both models work great in friction mode. Several shift inserts were made
> for various combinations of 6 and seven freewheels with various chains/
> changers (insert availability now is poor) If you are diligent, you can
> get it to function as an index system but not as well as modern equipment.

IIRC, the 8sp Syncro stuff did not use the change-a-insert scheme;
rather, they were designed to work with Campy 8sp cassettes and (only)
the newer dual spring-pivot, slant parallelogram RDs. This stuff was
the point where Campy closed the gap on Shimano. Again, only true
IIRC.

> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg
>
> With 8, 9 or Ten, I'd get a different shifter
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Nov 5, 3:42 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> > I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> > downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> > ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> > stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> > Syncro shifters:
> >http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...

> > I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> > can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> > apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> > apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:
> >http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html

> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one
> > might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> > anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?

> > Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> > least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.

> Yes, the early (both Syncro and Syncro-II) Campagnolo index shifters
> are, uh, not as well, uh, studied as one might expect given the source.
>
> Both models work great in friction mode. Several shift inserts were made
> for various combinations of 6 and seven freewheels with various chains/
> changers (insert availability now is poor) If you are diligent, you can
> get it to function as an index system but not as well as modern equipment.

IIRC, the 8sp Syncro stuff did not use the change-a-insert scheme;
rather, they were designed to work with Campy 8sp cassettes and (only)
the newer dual spring-pivot, slant parallelogram RDs. This stuff was
the point where Campy closed the gap on Shimano. Again, only true
IIRC.

> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/syncro.jpg
>
> With 8, 9 or Ten, I'd get a different shifter
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

You are going to go very wrong if you try to build up a drive train
from randomly gathered parts. The chain, cassette, hub (width), rear
derailleur, shifters, and even the chainrings (maybe) may all require
matching. And much of the stuff even a few years ago is increasingly
hard to get if not out of date. You should first decide what you are
going to use, then go shopping for the best prices. Campy doesn't
even make down tube shifters anymore, but you can get barcons from
either Campy or Shimano...

JG

wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one

> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

Hi there.

I have a pair of 6-speed Shimano LX-Sport downtube shifters that work
in either Index or FRICTION that you can have. If they are of any use
to you email me.

Cheers from Peter

wrote:
> I am building up a geared road bike and was looking for a set of
> downtube shifters this weekend. I would prefer a nice set of friction/
> ratchet shifters but indexing is OK too. Unfortunately, LBSes don't
> stock any, so I hit up eBay and put in a hasty bid on these Campy
> Syncro shifters:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150177354805&s...
>
> I'm not really up to speed on road bike stuff and I figured Campy, ya
> can't go wrong... Except that after I bid I went looking around and
> apparently these Syncro levers are supposed to suck. Oops. But
> apparently they came out with a newer model that didn't suck as bad:http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html
>
> >From what I understand, the original Syncro was 6-7 speed so this one

> might be one of the Syncro 2, as it is advertised as 8 speed. Can
> anyone tell by the packaging what year/model I might have bid on?
>
> Also, can you run the Syncro shifter in friction mode? If so, then at
> least I have a backup plan if the indexing doesn't work out for me.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

Hi there.

I have a pair of 6-speed Shimano LX-Sport downtube shifters that work
in either Index or FRICTION that you can have. If they are of any use
to you email me.

Cheers from Peter

Thanks all for the replies.

Fortunately, I was outbid and so don't have to deal with these
shifters. Looking around, it seems like 8-speed stuff is scarce,
everything is 6-7 speed (vintage) or 9-10 speed (new). I'll likely
just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set of Dura-Ace 9-
speed and run them in friction mode.

Not a big fan of bar end shifters, I don't like the cable routing.

Regards,
Anthony

Thanks all for the replies.

Fortunately, I was outbid and so don't have to deal with these
shifters. Looking around, it seems like 8-speed stuff is scarce,
everything is 6-7 speed (vintage) or 9-10 speed (new). I'll likely
just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set of Dura-Ace 9-
speed and run them in friction mode.

Not a big fan of bar end shifters, I don't like the cable routing.

Regards,
Anthony

On Nov 7, 4:32 am, Anthony DeLorenzo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> Fortunately, I was outbid and so don't have to deal with these
> shifters. Looking around, it seems like 8-speed stuff is scarce,
> everything is 6-7 speed (vintage) or 9-10 speed (new). I'll likely
> just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set of Dura-Ace 9-
> speed and run them in friction mode.

If you are using the friction mode, look around for some Shimano 7sp
levers. They're available cheap (~$10) and will work just as well as
the much more expensive 9sp units.

> Not a big fan of bar end shifters, I don't like the cable routing.

IME, with modern cables and housings, barends work just as well as DT
shifters.

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> Fortunately, I was outbid and so don't have to deal with these
> shifters. Looking around, it seems like 8-speed stuff is scarce,
> everything is 6-7 speed (vintage) or 9-10 speed (new). I'll likely
> just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set of Dura-Ace 9-
> speed and run them in friction mode.
>
> Not a big fan of bar end shifters, I don't like the cable routing.

Some reason not to just use a classic 1013 fiction shifter or copy? They
are cheap and reliable.
--

Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> Fortunately, I was outbid and so don't have to deal with these
> shifters. Looking around, it seems like 8-speed stuff is scarce,
> everything is 6-7 speed (vintage) or 9-10 speed (new). I'll likely
> just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set of Dura-Ace 9-
> speed and run them in friction mode.
>
> Not a big fan of bar end shifters, I don't like the cable routing.

Some reason not to just use a classic 1013 fiction shifter or copy? They
are cheap and reliable.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

What exactly are you aiming for?

There's no disputing taste, but your approach seems kind of wasteful.

There's a big difference between vintage friction shifting and modern
non-indexed shifting.
These days, derailleurs all have Suntour's slant pantagraph and
Shimano's double spring pivots. Road cassettes are close ratio, even
for tourists. The chains are more flexible and the cogs scupted and
synchronized for better exchages. The pulleys have play to self-
center. The shifters have built in back-lash so you do not have to
overshift, then correct. You can educate you fingers to match the
detents in a click shifter, but you are going to find it hard to
perfectly adjust the derailleur because it's designed to run quietly
even when it's a little off.

But if that's what you want, buy a Shimano setup with downtube or bar
end shifters, and switch it to the friction setting.

If you want the vintage feel, you will have to buy vintage parts.

If you want to go cheap, Dura Ace is not the place to begin...

JG