Help identifying Campy Syncro shifters

What exactly are you aiming for?

There's no disputing taste, but your approach seems kind of wasteful.

There's a big difference between vintage friction shifting and modern
non-indexed shifting.
These days, derailleurs all have Suntour's slant pantagraph and
Shimano's double spring pivots. Road cassettes are close ratio, even
for tourists. The chains are more flexible and the cogs scupted and
synchronized for better exchages. The pulleys have play to self-
center. The shifters have built in back-lash so you do not have to
overshift, then correct. You can educate you fingers to match the
detents in a click shifter, but you are going to find it hard to
perfectly adjust the derailleur because it's designed to run quietly
even when it's a little off.

But if that's what you want, buy a Shimano setup with downtube or bar
end shifters, and switch it to the friction setting.

If you want the vintage feel, you will have to buy vintage parts.

If you want to go cheap, Dura Ace is not the place to begin...

JG

Anthony DeLorenzo <[email protected]> writes:

>Thanks all for the replies.

>I'll likely just drop the rather large amount of cash for a new set
>of Dura-Ace 9- speed and run them in friction mode.

There is a guy on ebay from mexico city who is clearing out a case or
two of NOS suntour barcons shifting sets, they almost never go for
more than $40 (shipped), if you're just going to run in friction mode
these will work beautifully, i have dealt with him several times.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA