Help identifying/dating Raleigh Delta road/touring bike

AWN

Guest
Good evening,

If any of you affectionados care to help, I have been looking everywhere
for more info on this bike and have come up with nothing. This bike may
well be a collector ­ I¹m not certain. Anyway, here¹s what I know:

Raleigh Delta (56cm)
coffee/brown/red colour
IRC Hp 90 rubber with Araya 27x1/14 rims
Weinmann 730 front/rear brakes (center pull I think)
Tange 5 fully lugged frame with an elongated chain stay (I thought this
might indicate touring use)
Custom-A cranks (165)
MK-SOU 2K pedals (no cages but they have mounts)

Suntour 7 drivetrain with stem mounted shifters
SR seat, seat post and stem. The chain/wheel protector looks to be aluminum
and is stamped with ŒSuntour¹ also

made in Nottingham England (badge on front steer tube)
Serial number on bottom bracket casing: RD 01053

I have checked Sheldon¹s site, Oldroads, usenet, etc. Please help if
possible.

Thanks and take care,
Andrew.

On Apr 6, 7:31 pm, AWN <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> If any of you affectionados care to help, I have been looking everywhere
> for more info on this bike and have come up with nothing. This bike may
> well be a collector ­ I¹m not certain. Anyway, here¹s what I know:

I don't recall that exact bike, but I'd guess it's from the late '70's
to mid '80's, back when I was working in the local bike shop. Suntour
Seven was lower-line stuff- better bikes had Suntour GT or VGT
derailleurs.

Tange 5 tubing isn't anything special... it might not even be chrome-
moly. None of the parts sounds particularly collectible, either.

It's probably a decent enough bike though. Put some new tires, cables
and brake shoes on it and go out for a ride.

Jeff

AWN wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> If any of you affectionados care to help, I have been looking
> everywhere for more info on this bike and have come up with nothing.
> This bike may well be a collector – I’m not certain. Anyway, here’s
> what I know:
>
> Raleigh Delta (56cm)
> coffee/brown/red colour
> IRC Hp 90 rubber with Araya 27x1/14 rims
> Weinmann 730 front/rear brakes (center pull I think)
> Tange 5 fully lugged frame with an elongated chain stay (I thought this
> might indicate touring use)
> Custom-A cranks (165)
> MK-SOU 2K pedals (no cages but they have mounts)
>
> Suntour 7 drivetrain with stem mounted shifters
> SR seat, seat post and stem. The chain/wheel protector looks to be
> aluminum and is stamped with ‘Suntour’ also
>
> made in Nottingham England (badge on front steer tube)
> Serial number on bottom bracket casing: RD 01053
>
> I have checked Sheldon’s site, Oldroads, usenet, etc. Please help if
> possible.

Sounds like a UK version of the 1977~1980-ish Raleigh Super Record or
Gran Sport built at Osaka. Each division had its own models and model
names. Here the UK Record Ace was replaced with the Japanese Super
Record in 1979 (?) Nothing special. You'll find dates inside the crank
arms and under the safety line of seat post and stem. Weinmann calipers
are dated on the back in a 'clock' stamp. Japanese period frame numbers
usually a letter, year, unit number, as Y_0_54321 or Y_0_Z54321 for a
1980. Unsure on Nottingham numbers. US retail new $180 to $220.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article <C23C88D9.11B1E%[email protected]>,
AWN <[email protected]> writes:

> made in Nottingham England (badge on front steer tube)

Apparently made-in-Canada Raleighs might have that
Nottingham badge, too. Not that that diminishes
the quality of the bike.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Thanks very kindly for the inforamtive response!
Take care,
Andrew.

> Sounds like a UK version of the 1977~1980-ish Raleigh Super Record or
> Gran Sport built at Osaka. Each division had its own models and model
> names. Here the UK Record Ace was replaced with the Japanese Super
> Record in 1979 (?) Nothing special. You'll find dates inside the crank
> arms and under the safety line of seat post and stem. Weinmann calipers
> are dated on the back in a 'clock' stamp. Japanese period frame numbers
> usually a letter, year, unit number, as Y_0_54321 or Y_0_Z54321 for a
> 1980. Unsure on Nottingham numbers. US retail new $180 to $220.

Jeff,
Thanks for the information and insight.
Take care,
Andrew.

in article [email protected], JeffWills
at [email protected] wrote on 4/7/07 12:56 AM:

> I don't recall that exact bike, but I'd guess it's from the late '70's
> to mid '80's, back when I was working in the local bike shop. Suntour
> Seven was lower-line stuff- better bikes had Suntour GT or VGT
> derailleurs.
>
> Tange 5 tubing isn't anything special... it might not even be chrome-
> moly. None of the parts sounds particularly collectible, either.
>
> It's probably a decent enough bike though. Put some new tires, cables
> and brake shoes on it and go out for a ride.
>
> Jeff

On Apr 6, 7:31 pm, AWN <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> If any of you affectionados care to help, I have been looking everywhere
> for more info on this bike and have come up with nothing. This bike may
> well be a collector ­ I¹m not certain. Anyway, here¹s what I know:
>
> Raleigh Delta (56cm)
> coffee/brown/red colour
> IRC Hp 90 rubber with Araya 27x1/14 rims
> Weinmann 730 front/rear brakes (center pull I think)
> Tange 5 fully lugged frame with an elongated chain stay (I thought this
> might indicate touring use)
> Custom-A cranks (165)
> MK-SOU 2K pedals (no cages but they have mounts)
>
> Suntour 7 drivetrain with stem mounted shifters
> SR seat, seat post and stem. The chain/wheel protector looks to be aluminum
> and is stamped with ŒSuntour¹ also
>
> made in Nottingham England (badge on front steer tube)
> Serial number on bottom bracket casing: RD 01053
>
> I have checked Sheldon¹s site, Oldroads, usenet, etc. Please help if
> possible.
>
> Thanks and take care,
> Andrew.

I don't know if this will help, but this is an excellent site to
research older bikes:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com