Help indentify Campagnolo cassette parts

Mmcs

Guest
I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.

How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are marked with the number of
teeth, but nothing else.

Thank you in advance...

Measure the spacer thickness with a micrometer or good vernier caliper, and see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing. According to that table, Campagnolo 8s spacers are
3.1mm, 9s are 2.8mm 10s are 2.42mm.

Nick

MMCS wrote:
> I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
>
> How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are marked with the number of
> teeth, but nothing else.

If the sprockets are marked only with the number of teeth, they are the original, pre-EXA-Drive
7/8spd sprockets. Pre-EXA-Drive sprockets can also be distinguished because all their spline teeth
are equal width. Pre-EXA-Drive sprockets do not have synchronized ramps and gates and can be used in
any cassette position.

EXA-Drive (and the latest UltraDrive) sprockets will be marked with both a number and a number, for
example 15A or
18C. The letter indicates the the cassette series they are designed to be used with so that their
ramps and gates line up. For example, a 13/23 8spd cassette would consist of a
13A-14A-15A-16A-17A-19A-21A-23A. EXA/Ultra-Drive sprockets can also be distinguished by one
spline tooth that is narrower than the others. 9spd and 10spd sprockets will be marked "9S"
and "10S" respectively, with no marking on 8spd sprockets.

8spd spacers are black, 9spd spacers are amber, and 10spd spacers are silver.

8spd lockrings have a 29mm thread, 9spd and 10spd lockrings have either a 26mm thread for the
original 9spd hubs or 27mm thread for later 9/10spd hubs with oversized axles.

It sounds like you most likely have pre-EXA-drive 8spd sprockets. If some of them are
EXA/Ultra-Drive sprockets, I provide more information on the lettered cassette series orders.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

"MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
> I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
>
> How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
marked
> with the number of teeth, but nothing else.

They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a letter code to align the ramps:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CA_EXA8.JPG

And they aren't current Campagnolo 9/10 cogs either. Those all bear a triangle stamp at the
alignment point.

Possibly Miche or some other aftermarket brand to fit Campagnolo cassettes ??

A Muzi wrote:

> "MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
> > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
> >
> > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
> marked
> > with the number of teeth, but nothing else.
>
> They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a letter code to align
> the ramps:

I'm not an Campagnolo expert, but I always thought only the first 8 speeds cogs carried the alfabet
markings. AFAIK these dissappeared with the introduction of exadrive.

--
Marten

> > "MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
> > > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
> > >
> > > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
> > marked
> > > with the number of teeth, but nothing else.

> A Muzi blathered
> > They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a
letter
> > code to align the ramps:

"M-Gineering import & framebouw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm not an Campagnolo expert, but I always thought only the first 8 speeds cogs carried the
> alfabet markings. AFAIK these dissappeared with the introduction of exadrive.

I think you are right. What was I thinking?