Help indentify Campagnolo cassette parts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mmcs, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Mmcs

    Mmcs Guest

    I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.

    How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are marked with the number of
    teeth, but nothing else.

    Thank you in advance...

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Measure the spacer thickness with a micrometer or good vernier caliper, and see
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing. According to that table, Campagnolo 8s spacers are
    3.1mm, 9s are 2.8mm 10s are 2.42mm.

    Nick

  3. MMCS wrote:
    > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
    >
    > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are marked with the number of
    > teeth, but nothing else.

    If the sprockets are marked only with the number of teeth, they are the original, pre-EXA-Drive
    7/8spd sprockets. Pre-EXA-Drive sprockets can also be distinguished because all their spline teeth
    are equal width. Pre-EXA-Drive sprockets do not have synchronized ramps and gates and can be used in
    any cassette position.

    EXA-Drive (and the latest UltraDrive) sprockets will be marked with both a number and a number, for
    example 15A or
    18C. The letter indicates the the cassette series they are designed to be used with so that their
    ramps and gates line up. For example, a 13/23 8spd cassette would consist of a
    13A-14A-15A-16A-17A-19A-21A-23A. EXA/Ultra-Drive sprockets can also be distinguished by one
    spline tooth that is narrower than the others. 9spd and 10spd sprockets will be marked "9S"
    and "10S" respectively, with no marking on 8spd sprockets.

    8spd spacers are black, 9spd spacers are amber, and 10spd spacers are silver.

    8spd lockrings have a 29mm thread, 9spd and 10spd lockrings have either a 26mm thread for the
    original 9spd hubs or 27mm thread for later 9/10spd hubs with oversized axles.

    It sounds like you most likely have pre-EXA-drive 8spd sprockets. If some of them are
    EXA/Ultra-Drive sprockets, I provide more information on the lettered cassette series orders.

    Mark McMaster [email protected]

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
    > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
    >
    > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
    marked
    > with the number of teeth, but nothing else.

    They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a letter code to align the ramps:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CA_EXA8.JPG

    And they aren't current Campagnolo 9/10 cogs either. Those all bear a triangle stamp at the
    alignment point.

    Possibly Miche or some other aftermarket brand to fit Campagnolo cassettes ??

  5. A Muzi wrote:

    > "MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
    > > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
    > >
    > > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
    > marked
    > > with the number of teeth, but nothing else.
    >
    > They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a letter code to align
    > the ramps:

    I'm not an Campagnolo expert, but I always thought only the first 8 speeds cogs carried the alfabet
    markings. AFAIK these dissappeared with the introduction of exadrive.

    --
    Marten

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "MMCS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA7E7C21.7D2B%[email protected]...
    > > > I have a box of Campagnolo cassette cogs, spacers, and lockrings.
    > > >
    > > > How do I determine what speed cassette they will build? The cogs are
    > > marked
    > > > with the number of teeth, but nothing else.

    > A Muzi blathered
    > > They aren't EXA-8speed cogs. Campagnolo's eight-speed system bear a
    letter
    > > code to align the ramps:

    "M-Gineering import & framebouw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm not an Campagnolo expert, but I always thought only the first 8 speeds cogs carried the
    > alfabet markings. AFAIK these dissappeared with the introduction of exadrive.

    I think you are right. What was I thinking?