help installing LX Deore Front Derailleur

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Luppy, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Luppy

Luppy New Member

I got the LX Deore front derailleur to replace the piece of crap Acera on a HardRock Comp. Before I began, I double checked to make sure I ordered the right size, and also that they sent the size I ordered. Confirmed.
    Only problem is, the part of the frame that it has to bolt to is thicker than where the Acera bolted up, and also, the allen bolt supplied with the LX isn't long enough to compensate for the longer stretch. The bolt supplied doesn't even reach.

Yeah, the frame is thinner down at the point where the Acera mounted, but the design of the LX won't allow me mount it that low as it would be jammed up against the crank/front sprockets.

What do I do now? Should I buy a longer allen bolt? This really sux, I've installed water pumps and radiators in my Corvette and had an easier than this.

Appreciate any help, thoughts on this supposedly simple procedure turned pita...

EDIT: Ok, I've been reading into this bottom pull, top swing, dilly-doo-ha-do-the-jig crap. Found the right lingo to explain this better. I ordered the LX with the same size clamp as the Acera that was on the bike. Apparently, this LX mounts higher up the on the frame, and should have a larger clamp. Can I still use this one I bought, if I get a longer allen bolt to compensate for the smaller clamp?

Tags:

2. Luppy

Luppy New Member

Never mind. I got help somewhere else.

3. Luppy

Luppy New Member

Ok people. Big Update:

I suspect other noobs such as myself have already, or at some point, will run into this so I'd like to cover the front derailleur adjustment/installation from a noob standpoint.

It turns out the LX Deore FD I ordered is a high band clamp model. My HardRock Comp uses a low band clamp, so I had to buy another front derailleur. (oh well, live and learn) I got the Shimano Deore at a local bike shop and decided to attempt installing it myself. I figured, hey, I work on my cars all the time so how hard can a bike be?
    lol. Well, when you have no experience, installing and adjusting a front derailleur can be a very frustrating task. Nevertheless, I did it yesterday, and was riding the bike this morning.

Where did such a greenhorn, backyard bike repair wannabe get the help to get this done? I followed this link, printed out the info, and did exactly what it said. Once I followed the instructions here, the Deore was installed and shifting like butter! No noise, no scraping. Nice. Here's that link, and good luck:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml