Help interpreting some numbers / pursuit training for women

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Peppsy, May 31, 2012.

1. Peppsy

Peppsy New Member

Hi

I'm new to this forum so thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I don't currently race but between commuting and casual rides average about 200km a week plus a gym session. Six weeks ago I started to incorporate a weekly ergo session on a Wattbike. Initially I did a MAP test (1 min increments of 25w) but couldn't complete the 350w segment.

I've been thinking I'd like to have a crack at the pursuit later this year, starting with Masters (2km) and then moving to Elite (3km). Yesterday I did a 3 minute all-out effort averaging 336w (5.55w @ 60.5kg). So now I have a few questions...

1) I presume I should concentrate on 3 min intervals in training. Should I be aiming for a certain wattage as 'steady state' or just go all out?
    2) With 6 months of structured training (including track time), racing and 1-2 ergo sessions per week, what kind of improvement could I expect (gotta love a goal) in wattage?
    3) And here's the debateble one :) If I were to aim for a 3.50 for 3km, and I had all the right equipment, what wattage do I need? If I remember correctly I saw power data from a World Cup event where a female pursuiter averaged 320w to go way under that time. Seems incredibly low (maybe she was a noodle..?).

Thanks again!

Tags:

2. acoggan

acoggan Member

Peppsy,

You're asking the right questions, but ones that may be a bit too detailed to get a really good answer here (at least w/o knowing more about you and a fair bit of typing). Quick-and-dirty, though:

1) There is a time and a place for everything in a pursuiter's program, but regardless of whether you do them all-out or at a steadier pace, I don't think 3 min intervals are ideal. For some ideas of how to train for pursuiting, you could check the presentation here:

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=18

2) Really no way of knowing except by giving it a try!

3) Again, highly dependent upon your aero-ness, as well as the track conditions. You could, though, get a ballpark estimate by using the calculators at www.analyticcycling.com, figuring that you'll need to produce ~10% more power when doing the same time from a standing start vs. flying, and predicting your CdA based on your anthropometrics:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2011/04/estimation-of-cda-from-anthropometric.html

Additional information of use might be found here:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2010/04/demands-of-individual-pursuit-part-1.html

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2010/05/demands-of-individual-pursuit-part-2.html

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2010/05/demands-of-individual-pursuit-part-3.html

3. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

I just had that strange sense of deja vu...

4. Peppsy

Peppsy New Member

Thank you Andrew - this is a wealth of information, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond and sharing your expertise so freely.

If I may, could I ask one final question. I notice a V02 workout you recommended was 6x5min @90% V02. In the absence of this data, should I use 90% of my MAP test result?

Thanks again and sorry if these questions have been asked before!

5. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

While I'm not Andy, I'll add that that pursuits are often ridden at ~ 91-94% of MAP, then that sounds pretty reasonable place to attempt to start.

Reality is though, they are self correcting. If you couldn't do the set, then you went too hard, so drop it a bit next time. If you got through them "comfortably" then lift it bit next time.

6. Peppsy

Peppsy New Member

Thanks very much Alex...even if you're not Andy /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif And g'day from Melbourne too!

So given my MAP a month or so ago was 325w, in training I should be aiming for 295-300w in the pursuit (sub 4 mins) even if my 3min max last week was 336? Or are we talking about the 6 x 5 min effort?

Sorry...more questions Alex (but I will gladly buy you a Coke/hot dog/coffee if we're ever at the same track meet /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif)

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

As Alex suggests, doing the intervals is self-correcting... if you go too hard you won't complete the session. Go to easy and they'll be a breeze. Adjust the next time you do them.

Nice power btw.

Ric

8. Peppsy

Peppsy New Member

Thanks Ric. Enough of the numbers...I'm off to pedal my bike!

9. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

MAP ~= 3-min MMP in many people. (although depend on what one means by MAP)

How long and how hard you do your efforts depends on what your aim is. If you are specifically looking to give VO2max a boost, I'd suggest riding at somewhere between FTP & MAP that means you can do full intervals sets. Since you are looking at a sub-4-min time, then 4-min efforts sound a good option to me.

I don't drink coffee but will happily soak up a Pepsi Max lol

10. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

not really a proper cyclist are you Alex? Not drinking coffee. Huh? what? Epic fail

:-D

Ric