Help! I've last all my motivation to get on my bike.

Fitbay

Jul 26, 2004
I am feeling really glum at the moment. After a really active 2007 doing lots of sportives, trips to Alpe D'huez and the Galibier, cycling around Nice and a great ride from Glasgow to London - I now find that I can not find any motivation to get on my bike. I am really worried that I will lose all the lovely fitmess I gained YTD and will once again spend the winter withering away only to have to work really hard in the New Year. I have an indoor trainer and had manged to break through the boredom barrier, bus alas no more.

Has anyone got any good ideas or suggestions to get me back on the bike.

Fitbay

:(

Fitbay said:
I am feeling really glum at the moment. After a really active 2007 doing lots of sportives, trips to Alpe D'huez and the Galibier, cycling around Nice and a great ride from Glasgow to London - I now find that I can not find any motivation to get on my bike. I am really worried that I will lose all the lovely fitmess I gained YTD and will once again spend the winter withering away only to have to work really hard in the New Year. I have an indoor trainer and had manged to break through the boredom barrier, bus alas no more.

Fitbay

What kind of training are you doing on the trainer. Hard intervals 95% max, or what?

Fitbay said:

Fitbay

Not being motivated is a sign that you've had enough for a while. Take a rest, do some other sports, and before you know it you'll miss it and be itching to be back in the saddle.

Try and ride outdoors on the weekends - it's a lot easier on the motivation than the trainer.

jhuskey said:
What kind of training are you doing on the trainer. Hard intervals 95% max, or what?
Nothing very planned I'm afraid just spinning at between 70% & 90% for around 45 mins.

BullGod said:
Not being motivated is a sign that you've had enough for a while. Take a rest, do some other sports, and before you know it you'll miss it and be itching to be back in the saddle.

Try and ride outdoors on the weekends - it's a lot easier on the motivation than the trainer.
Good idea. I am planning to do some swimming. Thanks for the advice.

Fitbay said:
Good idea. I am planning to do some swimming. Thanks for the advice.

Natural downturn after what sounds like a great season. Swimming is good for overall fitness - and maybe try something new like yoga to work on completely different skills/strengths. 2-3X per week on the bike will maintain base fitness and keep you from feeling burned out by the time next season begins.

Fitbay said:
Nothing very planned I'm afraid just spinning at between 70% & 90% for around 45 mins.

I hate the trainer but I alternate what I do. Sometime I ride high intesity for 20mins.,sometime I just take it easy and go longer and sometimes a combination of both.
I find if I don't put limits or goals on myself I don't dread it so much.
I also have ski season coming up which is a good diversion

If you've got an MTB, try doing some offroad riding, or at least some rougher dirt roads that you'd normaly avoid on your road bike. I find that sometimes it's not just the bike I'm getting bored with: it's the same old roads I ride day after day.