Help! Looking for a Bike this fall

ikoko

Aug 10, 2009
I am hoping to buy a new road bike come this fall when the LBS will be getting rid of old models. I have a Fuji Sagres straight bar that I bought about 4 years ago. The bike rides well, however I am looking to buy a true road bike that is lighter. I don't know much about bikes, the only change I have made to my bike was to change the pedal to a clip-on. So least is to say I have learned a tonne in this process about bicycle; more detail than I thought.

My problem is where to start in terms of brand or models. I test rode a Giant Defy 2; the shifting was not as smooth as I would expect. Anyways I only a road bike for fitness purpose, one that would last, and maybe ride in races for non-profit causes. I am trying to spend less than $1,200 total.

Help!

I've been riding for years, and I can assure you that the engine (you) is more important than what bike you ride. I have browsed these forums for a while and am ASTONISHED that so many people are looking to buy and have bought $1,000-1,500-2,000 dollar bikes and then post on the website a silly statement about how they ride 15mph. Or what's worse is that they decide that biking isn't for them. When I was 16yrs old I rode a $75 bike with tennis shoes and toeclips on a 15mile bike club time trial in 42minutes. I am bothered that those who have never really ridden bikes are placing so much emphasis on the bike and rather than starting w/ a $300 starter bike they go out and get a topline race bike. I am not placing you in this category but I just had to vent on that topic for those who might read this.

Sales on bikes? Hehe. I was hoping to get a sale on 2009 models...too late. Your best bet for a sale on old model is/was a month ago from what I've found out - if you want to be a bit picky.

Start w/ major brands - Trek/Cannondale/Specialized, etc and see what you like. The shop is important to me...some give lifetime adjustments...some give 1yr...some give like 6months. I have to be comfortable w/ the shop - and you should be too.

I recommend this Kent GMC Denali Road Bike , I have ridden bikes for quite some time, from mountain bikes to road bikes. Some models seem to have all the right things going right for them and others don't. This one is a pleasure to ride.

crankitfast said:
I've been riding for years, and I can assure you that the engine (you) is more important than what bike you ride. I have browsed these forums for a while and am ASTONISHED that so many people are looking to buy and have bought $1,000-1,500-2,000 dollar bikes and then post on the website a silly statement about how they ride 15mph. Or what's worse is that they decide that biking isn't for them. When I was 16yrs old I rode a $75 bike with tennis shoes and toeclips on a 15mile bike club time trial in 42minutes. I am bothered that those who have never really ridden bikes are placing so much emphasis on the bike and rather than starting w/ a $300 starter bike they go out and get a topline race bike. I am not placing you in this category but I just had to vent on that topic for those who might read this.
I completely agree with you......my first bike was an $89 bike from Kmart. I am on my 2nd bike that would just under $500; could have done better with the second one knowing what I know now. All well!

Sales on bikes? Hehe. I was hoping to get a sale on 2009 models...too late. Your best bet for a sale on old model is/was a month ago from what I've found out - if you want to be a bit picky.

Start w/ major brands - Trek/Cannondale/Specialized, etc and see what you like. The shop is important to me...some give lifetime adjustments...some give 1yr...some give like 6months. I have to be comfortable w/ the shop - and you should be too.

Thanks for the advice, maybe I will get lucky :) and find a sale at one of the local shops.