Help! Lost in the world of cycling shoe options...

BlackAce

Mar 27, 2010
Hi All--

I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for this, so please correct me if needed. For my birthday, I asked for funding to transition myself to a clipless system. I'm already pretty set on what I want for the pedals, but am having an incredibly difficult time selecting an appropriate shoe. So let me describe myself, and hopefully you'll be able to at least give me a few suggestions on where to start.

I've had my hybrid bike almost a year now, and when I first got it, had conditioned myself to where I could do 40 miles without any pain or real effort a couple times a week, with shorter rides in between. Then the summer came (Florida), and I tapered off my riding. I'm currently in the process of retraining myself again, and hope to do back to back half-centuries on a Saturday/Sunday in May (MS Citrus Tour).

Right now, I'm right around the 30 mile mark, but it's taking some effort. I try to average 15-20 mph on all of my rides, regardless of distance, which is close to last year where I was somewhere between 17-22.

So I push it pretty hard for a hybrid, for decent distances. I want a shoe with good energy transfer for someone who's pretty into consistent speed and drive, and perhaps not your more casual hybrid cyclist. I got the hybrid for it's versatility, commuting ease, etc. But I try to squeeze as much road bike as I can out of it.

I'd really prefer a shoe with tread that I can use to walk around in. Particularly when I ride more casually with my girlfriend, she let's me go off and power for a bit, and then come back and ride more casually with her. We tend to stop in town and walk around for the afternoon after our ride. In true road shoes, an afternoon around town would be less than enjoyable. But since I'm not actually MTB, I don't need super agressive tread or even very superior traction. But that's all I really am able to find--it seems it's either road shoes or chunky MTB shoes.

Wish List:
• Sleek, low-cut
• Lightweight
• Decent, rigid plate for maximum energy
• Be able to walk around in them comfortably for several hours

Am I asking for too much?

Price Range: <$140 USD, but will hear all suggestions, particularly those that closely match the criteria above.

If you're already set on pedals, then your path may already be somewhat decided. What kind of pedals are you looking at?

A great observation, I thought of that after I hit submit. Based on the shoes I've looked at, I'd say it's pretty likely I'll end up on SPD pedals. Nothing is purchased yet, so I could be swayed, but that seems to give me the most options.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

I wear 04 Shimano M038 (casual) and 08 Specialized BG Comp (enthusiast) shoes. Both are SPD. Both work great. Don't think too much abut the shoe... just ride!!

It sounds like you might be looking for a touring type shoe.

Maybe something like this:

Shimano RT80 Road/Touring Shoe - Sandals/Casual/Sport Shoes

My local bike shop is much the same as yours, they have sleek hard to walk in road shoes, and big hiking boot looking MTB shoes.

Anyway, I think shoes are one of the most import pieces of cycling apparel you will purchase, so you need to get exactly what you want in the correct size.

If you haven't already noticed sizing will vary a lot between different brands. So, for example if you decided you want a pair of Shimano touring shoes then it would be best to try on a pair Shimano Road shoes at your local shop to narrow down the size you'll need.

The link to the shoe on the Nasbar website is just one example, you can look around more there and also at performancebike.com.

There's lots of on-line stores, those are just 2 that I shop at.

64Paramount said:
It sounds like you might be looking for a touring type shoe.

Maybe something like this:

Shimano RT80 Road/Touring Shoe - Sandals/Casual/Sport Shoes

These definitely look promising. I hadn't seen this style yet, the only thing I'd found between true road and MTB were shoes like the Pearl Seek III's. These look less likely to have as much flex, yet still walkable. Thank you, this helps me start a new search. :)