Help! Lower Back Strain Before Cycling Event

ritaephillips

Sep 3, 2015
Hello, I've never asked a question on a forum but I feel desperate. My 70 mile (never have done this distance before) cycling event in on Sept. 19th. I'm less than 3 weeks out and have a lower back strain which happened three days ago. I'm in pain and have stayed off the bike since this occurred. Any advice on how soon to get back on? How far I should go on the first time back on back after time off (I had planned on a 60 mile ride)? Will I lose everything I've gained from training if I take a week or 10 days off? How should I train until the day of the event to avoid this back strain again? Thank you for any advice you have.

I am not a trainer and this comment is based on my own body. When I feel pain in my body, the impulse is to rest it. Some trainers and even a doctor said that is the right approach to body pains (we are talking of training pains and not ailments). But when the pain persists, you have to consult a doctor. Some remedies recommended to me were the hot compress that soothes the muscles and eases the pain, massage using efficascent oil that also soothes the muscles, cold compress which deadens the pain. And for the feet, resting it on top of a pillow would do you good.

Reactions: ritaephillips
Thank you Corzhens. I used heat and cold compresses and took 7 days off. Just got back on my bike yesterday and only went 10 miles. Managed 14.5 miles today. I think I will be okay for the event on the 19th.

Personally for me, I do many many stretches before and after each session, I spend out a solid 10 minutes just touching my toes while standing to get my back really warmed up and stretched, I then move on and put just a little heat pack once I feel some pain when I am cycling, and then right after, no matter how tired I am, I spend 20 minutes doing very long stretches, and a warm shower really helps out.