Help! Lower Back Strain Before Cycling Event

ritaephillips

Sep 3, 2015
Hello, I've never asked a question on a forum but I feel desperate. My 70 mile (never have done this distance before) cycling event in on Sept. 19th. I'm less than 3 weeks out and have a lower back strain which happened three days ago. I'm in pain and have stayed off the bike since this occurred. Any advice on how soon to get back on? How far I should go on the first time back on back after time off (I had planned on a 60 mile ride)? Will I lose everything I've gained from training if I take a week or 10 days off? How should I train until the day of the event to avoid this back strain again? Thank you for any advice you have.

I'm am not a pro, a 4 month newbie actually, but have you had back strains before? Before you choose to do anything, remember that your health is more important than any event. 7 or so years ago I ignored my body and just had to get out there and run...Well, I gave myself a stress fracture and couldn't do something that I truly enjoyed for 4 months.In terms of your endurance, everyone is different, but 10 days off shouldn't harm your performance that much if at all. In fact, most pros for almost any sport take it easy the week before an important event and usually just do enough to stretch out. I'm assuming that you aren't obsessed with speed and this is some sort of charity or community event. I'd say, make sure everything is ok with your back first, but 7-10 should not harm your endurance(definitely stay off the bike for now).

Reactions: ritaephillips
How did you strain your back, cycling related?

If cycling related I can tell you that the tilt of your bike saddle can put strain on your lower back. After installing a new saddle I had it tilted back too much. It put a strain on my lower back around the rear hip area. Made the adjustment and it felt much better right away. Plus the reach on your bike can also put a strain on your back. IF the stem is too long, it will be uncomfy. Make sure the reach is not too far, if so, swap out the stem for one of shorter length. Sometimes you can lower the seat and adjust the tilt to achieve better comfort and avoiding strains.

If not cycling related I can tel you that I have strained my back a couple of times. I actually went riding to relieve it. Some nice easy slow low effort rides will warm up your back and ease the pain as well as help with recovery.

In preparation for a tough cycling event, I also include short recovery relaxing rides in my training program. Some might not know but it helps tremendously to do easy recovery efforts to work out the kinks. I'd say do some easy 5-10 milers to see if it works out the strain. I was on the bike a couple days after my strain, I really think it helps.

But check your set up and adjustment on the bike if the strain happened while riding.

Reactions: ritaephillips
Thank you Mr. Beanz,

I did strain my back cycling. I'm really not sure how. I will work on adjusting my seat as the stem seems fine. Only two weeks until the event, so I will take your advice and ride some easy short miles.

Thank you.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your back strain, but taking some time off to rest and recover is the right call. I'd recommend seeing a physio or medical professional to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Once you're cleared to ride again, start with shorter, easier rides to test out your back and gradually increase the distance. Don't worry about losing fitness - it's better to take a few extra rest days than push through pain and risk further injury. Take care and good luck with your event! :)

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your back strain, but taking some time off to rest and recover is the right call. I'd recommend seeing a physio or medical professional to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Once you're cleared to ride again, start with shorter, easier rides to test out your back and gradually increase the distance. Don't worry about losing fitness - it's better to take a few extra rest days than push through pain and risk further injury. Take care and good luck with your event! :)

9 years later, pretty sure it's taken care of and the event is done and over. :D

I'm no doctor, but if you're in pain, best to rest and recover. As for your bike, if shifting's seized and bottom bracket's loose, it's not the bike that's causing your back strain, but it won't help. You've got time, so tighten that bracket and free up those gears. If you're on a budget, remember, duct tape is your friend. And don't worry about losing training gains, you're not competing with others, just yourself. So, take it easy, and remember, no pain, no pain (seriously, no pain). ;)

I'm no doctor, but if you're in pain, it's best to rest and recover. Pushing through it could lead to more serious injuries. As for lost progress, don't fret. Muscles have memory, and with proper rest and rehab, you'll bounce back. Take it slow and steady on your first ride back.