Help make road cycling safer!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SSMIDSY, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SSMIDSY

SSMIDSY New Member

Dear members fellow cyclists,

My name is René and I'm an independent inventor currently working on creating a device to help improve road cycling safety.

To ensure the product is relevant and helps eradicate or minimise injuries experienced by cyclist its imperative I gather feedback from the people its going to affect most; people who actually cycle. I feel the solutions designed or proposed currently to improve road cycling safety never include or take into significant consideration the views of the cyclist; resulting in mediocre solutions. With your help I would like to change this design approach.

Therefore would it be possible to spare 10mins (or more if you like) filling in my survey. Please ask anyone else you know to fill it in too as the more information will help build a better product.

Please access here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/road_cycling_safety

What it is
    Two-way technological device that will allow cyclists to communicate with each other and other vehicles on the road to make them aware of their location to minimise future accidents.
    How it is meant to work
    Currently researching various technologies to determine the best one or hybrid to use that will enable a fully scalable and fully functional product.
    Why we need your help
    In order to build a cycling- orientated product that include the features the cycling population find relevant and a must have, would it be possible to fill in our survey? This will help us focus on the core features required and reduce the time it takes to develop and test.

Thanks,
    René

Tags:

2. Brian in VA

Brian in VA New Member

I took your survey and I'm rooting for you to come up with something.

Good luck!

Brian in VA

3. SSMIDSY

SSMIDSY New Member

Thank you much appreciated!

4. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

The very fact that you have a device equipped wont do much for cycling safety. Helmets for example, are not worn by many cyclists. Just dont go around asking for reduced speed limits because they suck. I will tolerate 30mph through a village but not 40mph enforced by average speed cameras on a motorway coz of bastard road works. Harsh penalties for drivers that hurt cyclists through crap driving is one idea you could try for. In fact I often break speed limits on my bicycle.
    The biggest danger to cyclists are people in vehicles either failing to notice cyclists, or arragently driving in a manner that puts them at risk. This is what needs to be worked on, but worked on in such a way that doesnt lower speed limits or increase enforcement of such limits or financially hinder all motorists in some way.

5. SSMIDSY

SSMIDSY New Member

Thanks for your feedback you raised some interesting points which we will review.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Actually, you don't know what effect on cycling safety a device will have without knowing what the device is and does. Reduced speed works, despite what you say, and that has been shown in the data. There's no evidence to support your claims on helmet use as they've very vague claims. A light is a perfect example of a device that does make cycling safer.

Brian in VA likes this.
  7. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

I dont give a fuck if going slow works for safety. Going slow makes alot of people irate. Irate drivers react irrationally and do stupid things like taking risky overtakes, tailgating and in some cases, road rage. On that bases its safer to let someone drive a bit quicker (within reason). As for products, I was pointing out the fact that many cyclists will not use them and that there should be a way of making them safer too. I use a bicycle helmet which I wouldnt have worn except that it was purchased for me by a relative. I also use bicycle lights where necessary but I dont intend to wear hi vis because its gay. However if a product can be produced that does improve safety for those that buy it then go for it. Such a product has to be:

1, Comfortable
    2, Light, cyclists tend to be anal about weight. Hence the reasons for all that carbon fibre cobblers.
    3, Stylish, few people will buy something if they think it looks like a dogs danglies.
    4, Not too expensive. People who are skint need to be able to afford such items if they are to be of use.

These are my own views and arent really intended to represent anything of greater significance. Therefore I do not need statistics or proof of how and why such and such etc. Like analator said I dont know anything about what affects cycling safety as its not something I intend to research. Im only lookin after number 1 after all.

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Sadly, the studies don't show that at all. This is to say that data from real world application shows the effect of slower traffic and increased traffic flow control devices actually makes it safer for riders. Given how wrong your assumptions are, you might want to revisit the way you go about looking out for number one.

9. Antan1

Antan1 New Member

Lower speed limits combined with much harsher penalties would make a difference but many cyclist's take risks in towns and cities that get the sport a bad name.
    I live in an area without speed cameras and haphazard law enforcement and you can certainly notice a difference in the way people drive (badly) compared to areas that have better law enforcement, lower speeds and education.

10. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

Nah fuck it theres only so much safety stuff I can cope with. So longs as the only consequences are mine then I see no reason to go pedantically slow.

Thats why I love the scottish highlands, there few people around to kill or prosecute you. Bottom line is I dont really care what people do so long as what they do doesnt have a negative impact on me. I do my best to work this the other way too. F***ing hell im starting to sound like jesus but what ever works.

11. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Study, shmudy. Real world experience trumps acadummy any day:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/accidents-stop-in-a-town-without-signs/2008/06/27/1214472770864.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_19636_5-simple-ideas-that-could-make-travel-and-life-way-easier_p2.html

Slowed traffic leads to greater congestion because fewer vehicles per unit of time can pass a given point. So do more stops.