Help! Mashed chainrings into chainstay (spindle length)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jonathan Curry, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Hello. Getting my bike together this spring is making me insane. I switched over to a splined
    BB/Crankset on my 1997 Voodoo Wanga. I called Nashbar before I ordered the BB, because I had read
    that the new splined BB spindle length requirements were different than the tapered ounes. I was
    told I should order a 113mm rather than the 107mm that was spec'd on my bike. Well, last night I
    went to install my cranks. Right side, no problem. Left side, stopped tightening when my chainrings
    mashed into my chainstay. Aaaaarrrrgggg!!! Can anyone tell me what the proper spindle length is when
    changing from a 107mm tapered? This sucks. Not to mention now I have to buy a new crank puller since
    the old one for tapered don't work with splined.

    Thanks in advance,

    J. Curry

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jonathan Curry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello. Getting my bike together this spring is making me insane. I switched over to a splined
    > BB/Crankset on my 1997 Voodoo Wanga. I called Nashbar before I ordered the BB, because I had read
    > that the new splined BB spindle length requirements were different than the tapered ounes. I was
    > told I should order a 113mm rather than the 107mm that was spec'd on my bike. Well, last night I
    > went to install my cranks. Right side, no problem. Left side, stopped tightening when my
    > chainrings mashed into my chainstay. Aaaaarrrrgggg!!! Can anyone tell me what the proper spindle
    > length is when changing from a 107mm tapered? This sucks. Not to mention now I have to buy a new
    > crank puller since the old one for tapered don't work with splined.

    If your chainrings are on the left side, there's your problem!

    To remove your cranks you need only plug the hole in the spindle. If you can't find something
    suitable there's a Shimano plug ( tool TL-FC-15) that your LBS should have cheaply. Peter notes that
    screwing a crank bolt into the other side and dropping any shaft through the spindle works, too.