Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Help me break my bike lock !

Started by Andy Simpson · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,054 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
1 June 2004
Last activity
20 October 2004
Original author
Andy Simpson
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,054
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a pocket lock which I carry in my bag for when I've forgotten a big
    lock. Today I decided to use it in conjunction with my big lock whilst I
    stopped at the hospital on the way to work. I come back to the bike and the
    bloody pocket lock won't unlock - I think the unlock button mechanism is
    jammed rather than me forgetting the combo.

    Its a tiny trek lock like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/yumyt

    Does anyone have any idea of what size cutting device I'll need to cut the
    cable ?

    Andy

  2. Andy Simpson said:

    I've got a pocket lock which I carry in my bag for when I've forgotten a big

    You can cut a cable like that with a hacksaw, or boltcutters. It won't
    take long.

    http://www.maximonline.com/sports/articles/article_3628.html

  3. Mike said:
    Andy Simpson said:

    I've got a pocket lock which I carry in my bag for when I've
    forgotten a big

    You can cut a cable like that with a hacksaw, or boltcutters. It won't
    take long.

    http://www.maximonline.com/sports/articles/article_3628.html

    Ta - I used a junior hacksaw, it took about 3 minutes. Just long enough for
    someone to ask me what I was doing, which I guess is it was there for.
    Fortunately I could prove that I could remove the other (heavier duty) lock.

    For some reason I susequently rode no-handed into a pot-hole and came off
    quite dramatically. I suspect my brain is defective today and maybe I really
    did forget the combo.

  4. On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 at 03:44 GMT, Andy Simpson (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:
    Mike said:
    Andy Simpson said:

    I've got a pocket lock which I carry in my bag for when I've
    forgotten a big

    You can cut a cable like that with a hacksaw, or boltcutters. It won't
    take long.

    http://www.maximonline.com/sports/articles/article_3628.html

    Ta - I used a junior hacksaw, it took about 3 minutes. Just long enough for
    someone to ask me what I was doing, which I guess is it was there for.
    Fortunately I could prove that I could remove the other (heavier duty) lock.

    Hmm. Social engineering.

    Just stick a ulock on someone elses bike, start hacking into their
    lock, and someone askes what the fsck you are doing, just show them
    "look, it's mine!".

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Imagine what a tipped over tractor-trailer formerly
    full of potatoes looks like.


    Not half as messy as a truckload of oranges.


    Or a hovercraft full of eels. -- Tanuki on ASR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.