Help me build a Look KG 181

foxyvet

Aug 3, 2011
So i got my hands on the LOOK KG 181 from 1998 i think. It's a carbon frame and a carbon fork. I am told Jalabert used this type of frame. it happens to be my size. i am thrilled. here is what the frame looks like. it's a classic.

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~bikeueki/kg181.jpg

i used to be an avid mountain biker with a Trek Y22 carbon XTR/XT. I am used to the crispy responsiveness of high end components and i wish to maintain that. i gave up mountain biking when i started having back problems, it's been 10yrs.

i want to slowly build this bike with performing road components (105 or Ultegra or ?) but i do not want to break the bank as i am a student. Also due to back issues, i want a touring/moustache/albatros upright seating position as if it was a city bike. i understand that this will represent an issue for the break leavers and shifters so any insight will be highly appreciated.

so far i got:

- 2010 SHIMANO ULTEGRA BR6700 CALIPERS
- Mach1 Shimano 105 5700 Road Bike Wheelset 36H NEW.

As i am shopping for deals on the components, i am starting to get a headache for compatibility.

1- Can i mix and match Ultegra 6500, 6600, and 6700? or do i have to stick to one of the series?
2- What about mixing the above with 105 or some Dura Ace if i am lucky?
3- What is the rule when you are mixing components? what should i look for?
4- Do you recommend other components of quality that might be cheaper than Shimano?

Questions 1-3 are virtually the same question asked in three different ways.

The problem is not usually the model of groupset. Up to 7800 Dura Ace, 6600 Ultegra and 5600 105 until the current versions it was possible to mix and match between all three. With the current models you can miix and match between the Ultegra (6700) and 105 (5700) but I'm unsure about Dura Ace (7900). It would seem that front mech and shifter needs to be properly matched in this case. But in general you cannot mix and match between current and past models (even within the same series - eg: 6700 and 6600) See the Compatibility Chart.

I don't recommend going for anything except a complete Shimano set-up. There are cheaper alternatives, but trying to find alternatives which are of the same quality will take more time than it is worth. All the Shimano stuff is designed to work together.

As far as running different bars is concerned: Your best option apart from drop bars is a set of flat bars. There are Shimano flat bar shifters and brake levers around which will work fine with more recent 10 speed components. But, in that case I would proably lean towards the older components (7800, 6600 and 5600), at least for the front mech, to ensure compatibility.

If you're budget minded and clearly aren't going to race, then there really is no need to go higher than 105.

Originally Posted by tafi .

As far as running different bars is concerned: Your best option apart from drop bars is a set of flat bars. There are Shimano flat bar shifters and brake levers around which will work fine with more recent 10 speed components.
1- Thanks a lot for the feedback and for directing me to the compatibility chart. i will have to decipher it this evening when i have some time.

2- Have you had any experience with the flat bar shifters you recommended? i looked them up, and they seem ok, someone else at a bike shop had mentioned them to me. now as much as i want to go that route, is there much difference between them and say XTR/XT shifters + derailleur? i am still debating between going to Ultegra or sticking MTB for the derailleur...i will never go to the mountains, my frame will only take caliper brakes so i am limited in that dimension.

3- this raises the question of gearing, how is the road gearing different from that of mountains?

Thanks again,