Help Me Buy A Bike At Lbs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kaikane, May 8, 2006.

1. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I'm in the market for a road bike. I want to support my LBS but they only carry two road brands: LeMond and Trek.
    I have about $1500-$1800 to spend. I'm over-the-hill (closing in on 50), and ride about 80 miles a week, (right now on an old mountain clunker with road tires on it).
    I'm leaning towrds the LeMond Sarthe, mostly because:
    Steel - Long lasting (this might be my last bike) and supposedly more comfortable
    Conventional Frame design - Compact frames just don't LOOK right to me
    U.S. made - their brochure says "by hand" but who knows
    I don't really know anything about Trek road bikes.
    If I didn't get the Sarthe, what Trek would I be?
    Thanks y'all for any guidance.

Tags:

2. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Lemond is a subsidiary of Trek. I'm familiar with the the Lemond Nevada City and Reno, but not the higher-end ones you're talking about. Steel is probably better for a more comfortable ride but it's more to take up the hills with you.

3. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I've been dragging a 20 year old, 30+ lb. mountain bike up hills with me for a couple of years now. The 20lb. Sarthe will be a breeze!
    I didn't know LeMond was owned by Trek. Maybe it doesn't make any difference then? Explains why LBS carries both, though.

4. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

Both brands are just fine. The price range you are looking in will get you better wheels and components. Of most importance, though, is that you test ride the bikes making sure you have a proper fitting on both. You should ride long enough that you get a sense of the handling qualities. Basically, how comfortable you are depends on being properly fit on the correct size frame and having the type of handling characteristics that appeals to you.

Too many people weigh the differences between brands when they should be weighing the differences between particular models, irrespective of brand.

5. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

The people that you deal with are the most important part. Once you find the right bike shop, buy a brand that they carry and you'll never go wrong.

6. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I've ridden the LeMond already. And I liked it. Guess I should try out some of the Treks they have in stock, too. Thanks.

7. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I live in the middle of nowhere. We're lucky to have ONE bike shop and I want to support them, so I'm buying from them.

8. achtervolger

achtervolger New Member

My dad just bought the Sarthe. Incredible bike for the money IMO. I was really impressed with it.

Very different FIT from the Trek. One should work better than the other.

9. DOUGEG

DOUGEG New Member

Man you are stuck. but maybe your LBS guys will become your new friends, happened to me. If so great, if not, listen to Insight and ride as may as you can. :)