help me buy my first road bike

mattsant16

Jun 19, 2011
i think i have it narrowed it down to these three please any input would really help...if you pick one bike please tell me why you didnt choose the other two im really trying to learn about these models. Im leaning towards bianchi?
.... my first post by the way

1- Bianchi -via norne 7 105
2-cannondale caad 5 10
3-gaint defy 1

The only two criteria that you should base your purchase on is if the bike is the right size for you and how the bike feels to you when you test ride it. All three bikes are fairly equal in material and components. The geomerty differs slightly and that is why you need to test ride them. We each can tell you which one we personally like best, but since we are not you and everyone's body is just a little different, you need to ride the bike and make your pick.

With that said, I like the Bianchi best. The Bianchi geometry suits my riding style a little better than the other two. On Cannondale and Giant, I am a little more stretched out than I like. This could be rememdied with a shorter stem, but the standard 110mm on the Bianchi suits me without having to make component changes.

Regardless of which bike you buy, you will probably want to replace the wheelset when you get a chance. All three ride so much better with a better grade wheelset than the stock set. You might also want to see about getting Shimano 105 Brakes to replace the Tektro brakes on the Cannondale and Giant and the Reparto Corse brakes on the Bianchi. The RC and Tektro will stop you, but the Shimano105 are so much better, possibly because they are designed to be paired with the 105 Brifters.

Looks like you've decided to go in the price range which will give you Shimano 105 componentry ofn what ever bike you decide to go with (That's a very good choice).

Of the three you listed I think the Bianchi is the "coolest" one. It's a nice bike. Have you looked at Felt?

The MSRP on the Bianchi looks to be around $1350... the 105 equipped Felt Z85 MSRP is around $1200, so you could save a little money with out giving up any "coolness" factor. The Felt Z85 is an awesome looking bike and Felt makes a very good product.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

There's also a Felt F75 that also has 105 that is just a little more at $1500 MSRP http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/F-Series/F75.aspx

Not trying to give you too much info, but it's best to test ride everything you can in your price range to make sure you are getting the bike you really like... I'm just trying to give you a couple more test ride options. But if you've riden quite a few bikes and you really like the Bianchi... I'll say it again... that IS a cool bike.

Well as of right now and my minimal education in the sport I'm basing my favoritism on Bianchi, simply for it's look and style. But if there Is another bike in that price range that offers more then it's appearance then it would be no question that I would go with that bike over the Bianchi. I'm Really sweet on that bike. By the way I'm 26..5'11... 190lb

I'm partial to the Via Nirone aesthetically and emotionally, because I own a celeste colored Bianchi myself. But the Cannondale CAAD 10 frame is touted as the best aluminum framed bike in production, and is said to be on par or better than mid-level carbon framed bikes. Don't know anything specific about the Defy 1, but Giant's in general are usually a great value.

I would ride them all and then make a decision.

I'm partial to the Bianchi, i have that exact bike in 57cm. I LOVE it.
I'll preface my recommendation by saying this is my first real road bike, and I bought my bike on a Sunday (open shops were limited and I live 80 miles from this store), the supply was somewhat limited, and I made a snap decision based on size, availability, price, and style. I've been riding for 6 wks, put on 450 miles, and lost 10 pounds (I'm now 6'0, 183 lbs).

I rode the Giant Defy, but the store did not have my size with upgraded Shimano 105 components. Overall I'm very happy with my decision. I don't have any other comparisons, but so far I cannot think of any downsides to this bike for the price, other than the weight.

posted by kdelong.......Regardless of which bike you buy, you will probably want to replace the wheelset when you get a chance. All three ride so much better with a better grade wheelset than the stock set. You might also want to see about getting Shimano 105 Brakes to replace the Tektro brakes on the Cannondale and Giant and the Reparto Corse brakes on the Bianchi. The RC and Tektro will stop you, but the Shimano105 are so much better, possibly because they are designed to be paired with the 105 Brifters.

Since I'm a newbie, I'm wondering how the ride is different with different wheels, and what wheels/tires/tubes do you recommend?

Originally Posted by jmitro .
posted by kdelong.......Regardless of which bike you buy, you will probably want to replace the wheelset when you get a chance. All three ride so much better with a better grade wheelset than the stock set. You might also want to see about getting Shimano 105 Brakes to replace the Tektro brakes on the Cannondale and Giant and the Reparto Corse brakes on the Bianchi. The RC and Tektro will stop you, but the Shimano105 are so much better, possibly because they are designed to be paired with the 105 Brifters.

Since I'm a newbie, I'm wondering how the ride is different with different wheels, and what wheels/tires/tubes do you recommend?
I wouldn't be too concerned with upgrading wheels. Especially if you're just starting out. New wheels will give you a significant amount of weight savings and that is rolling weight (where it's the most noticable). With that said, it's not that crucial for a begining rider... and besides... of the 3 listed in the first post, Bianchi has, by far, the better set of stock wheels (IMHO)

Don't worry about swapping out a bunch of stuff on your new bike.... just enjoy it and get out and ride =)

Originally Posted by mattsant16 .

Well as of right now and my minimal education in the sport I'm basing my favoritism on Bianchi, simply for it's look and style. But if there Is another bike in that price range that offers more then it's appearance then it would be no question that I would go with that bike over the Bianchi. I'm Really sweet on that bike. By the way I'm 26..5'11... 190lb
I bought a road bike based on looks and style and a love of a certain model from my childhood...and just sold it on the used market for half of what I paid for it, barely ridden, because it ultimately wasn't the right bike for me. Test ride them all and go with the frame that gives you the best fit. The bike I sold (which will remain unnamed because it was my dumb mistake) was beautiful and aggressive and turned heads, but after the initial gratification of a new bike had subsided, ended up being essentially worthless to me.

Originally Posted by ProdigalCyclist .
I wouldn't be too concerned with upgrading wheels. Especially if you're just starting out. New wheels will give you a significant amount of weight savings and that is rolling weight (where it's the most noticable). With that said, it's not that crucial for a begining rider... and besides... of the 3 listed in the first post, Bianchi has, by far, the better set of stock wheels (IMHO)

Don't worry about swapping out a bunch of stuff on your new bike.... just enjoy it and get out and ride =)
Sounds like a good suggestion. I've definitely been riding!
I bought an extra set of Mavic Aksiums just as backup, but the stock RC wheels and Vittoria Zaffiro slick tires are good enough for me right now.
thanks