Help me choose a better commuting tire!

Xplo

Sep 4, 2007
I have a Kona Dew Deluxe that's currently sporting the stock Continental Countryride tires that I use as a daily commuter. I don't think these are the best tires for me, since I never take the bike offroad. Also, winters are pretty rainy here, so anything I can do (within reason) to increase wet traction is a plus. So what I'm looking for, in order:

- Traction, especially wet traction
- Speed (whether due to lightness, low RR, or both)
- Moderate to good puncture resistance
- Comfort
- I don't really have a budget, but I don't want to pay much more than $100 for the pair.
- Wear resistance probably not a significant issue since I put 1600 km on my bike a year, or less.

I've researched a lot of tires and read a lot of web pages and forum threads about tires and tire selection, but what I need is some good ol' wisdom and experience. Would I be better off with a wide, heavy "touring"-style tire, or would switching to a racing tire provide enough additional grip to counteract the narrower contact patch? (Note: I weigh around 105 kg. I'm thinking 700-28 to -35 would probably be better than -23 for that reason alone. Yes? No?) Is there a sweet spot here?

I've seen Conti Gatorskins and GP 4-Seasons recommended a lot; how do they compare with each other? Does anyone know anything about the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme? Just for reference, how would any of these compare to a real racing tire like the Michelin Pro 2 Race?

I'm also a fan of Gatorskins, but for your purposes I might opt for the GP 4-Season tires. They address all the needs you listed and should provide better traction on wet surfaces and better grip riding in lower temperatures than the Gatorskins. A bit more pricey though.