Help me choose a bike

bigboi1881

Mar 27, 2006
I was wonderng if someone can help me chose a bike since I know nothing about them. I plan to purchase my bike at either Sports Authority or Modells since their the closest places that sell them.

I plan to use the bike for basic riding around town, parks, and also for exercise. Im pretty big 6'1" 210lbs so I think I need a mountain bike, also something on the lighter side.

My price range is up to $350.

These are the following models that they sell:

Mongoose
Honda
Huffy
Schwinn
Montego
Jeep

If theirs another model out there better than these for my price range that doesnt charge too much for shipping please let me know, im located in NJ. Thanks

Of those you listed I'd pick the Mongoose. I think Trek make very good low end bikes as well, may be worth looking into

Why are you limited to Sports Authority or Models??? Neither sell good bikes and I worry even more about the kid who puts them together.

Find a dealer:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/

bigboi1881 said:
I was wonderng if someone can help me chose a bike since I know nothing about them. I plan to purchase my bike at either Sports Authority or Modells since their the closest places that sell them.

I plan to use the bike for basic riding around town, parks, and also for exercise. Im pretty big 6'1" 210lbs so I think I need a mountain bike, also something on the lighter side.

Mongoose
Honda
Huffy
Schwinn
Montego
Jeep

If theirs another model out there better than these for my price range that doesnt charge too much for shipping please let me know, im located in NJ. Thanks

bigboi1881 said:

Mongoose
Honda
Huffy
Schwinn
Montego
Jeep
Out of those, I'd go for a Schwinn or Mongoose. The other brands, especially Huffy, aren't especially known for their quality. Schwinn makes a great deal of good and reasonably light entry-level bikes in your price range. Mongoose bikes are decent as well. It's up to you.

bigboi1881 said:
6'1" and 210 lbs is not too big for most entry level road bikes or hybrids. I am down to 229 (from 262, on my way to 180 ;) ), and I ride a Specalized Crossroads. The Trek 7200 is a similar, entry level hybrid. As long as the wheels have 32 or 36 spokes and are not ultra light (which you will not find in your price range, anyway) there should be no problems with your weight.

The choice of a mountain bike, hybrid (and which hybrid) or road bike should depend on where you will be riding. Road bikes are strictly for paved surfaces. Hybrids with 700 cm wheels and larger chainrings, like the Specalized Crossroads or Trek 7x00 series are good for well maintained, but unpaved, bike paths. They are slower and heavier than road bikes, but not nearly as slow or as heavy as a true mountain bike or the more mountain bike-like hybrids, like the Specalized Expedition or Trek Navigator series (26 in wheels and smaller chainrings than the Crossroads or 7x00 series). Mountain bikes are for true off-road use.

I agree with others that of the brands you listed, I would go with Schwinn or Mongoose, but keep looking and see if you cannot find a store within an hour's drive that carries such brands as Trek, Specialized, Giant, or Cannondale. These all have entry level bicycles in the $300 to $375 range that would fit your needs. While there is nothing wrong with Schwinn or Mongoose, it is worth driving an hour to find a shop that will help you decide which style is best for you, find the proper fit for you, set the bike up correctly for you, and let you try the bike out before you buy. The one thing worse than driving for an hour and spending $375 on a bicycle that you will enjoy riding is shopping locally and saving $75 on a bike that sits in the garage because it is not the right bike for you.

Check out your LBS. They'll hook you up with a bike you're looking for. I'd recommend Trek, as I always do. I can't tell you anything about their lower end MTB but again, just check out your LBS.