help me choose between 4 touring bikes

croshaven

Feb 13, 2004
I'm about to buy a new bike for this June's Oklahoma Freewheel. I will use it in local weekend bike events but am not interested in competing.

I'm trying to choose from among four good models.
1. Bianchi Volpe $850
2. Fuji Touring $800
3. Specialized Sequoia Elite $1,000
4. Rivendell Romulus $1,600

Any advice on how to choose? I can only find the specialized locally. I can ask my local bike shop to bring in the Fuji or the Bianchi. There are no local dealers (fort worth , tx) for the Rivendell.

Hi
I would go with the Specialized Sequoia Elite. They are a local shop and will be able to take care of anything if it goes wrong. You ride the bike for a few years but the shop should last a lifetime.

Originally posted by croshaven
I'm about to buy a new bike for this June's Oklahoma Freewheel. I will use it in local weekend bike events but am not interested in competing.

I'm trying to choose from among four good models.
1. Bianchi Volpe $850
2. Fuji Touring $800
3. Specialized Sequoia Elite $1,000
4. Rivendell Romulus $1,600

Any advice on how to choose? I can only find the specialized locally. I can ask my local bike shop to bring in the Fuji or the Bianchi. There are no local dealers (fort worth , tx) for the Rivendell.

Well, you're comparing uncomparables--the prices are quite different. If the price difference isn't any big deal for you, you'll like the Rivendell best for touring. Rivendells have the touring geometry dialed in. They have higher position bars. They are made for carrying weight (most modern bike frames aren't). They are also built to last a lifetime, and the craftsmanship is world class. For what they cost, they're an excellent deal.

All in all, the Rivendell is a more specialized and serious touring machine.

You'd probably do just fine with any of the bikes mentioned. If you would like a bike to keep, love and enjoy for a lifetime, take a good look at the Romulus. I have a lugged, steel bike that was built very much along Romulus lines, and it's wonderful. I bought it in 1983, and have have used it happily for many, many thousands of miles of daily riding, light touring, centuries, charity rides, etc. It still looks great and rides great. I don't baby it, and rust has not been a problem. If I were to replace it (but there's no reason to) I'd go with the Rivendell in a heartbeat. Of course, with any bike, an important key is to get a good fit.