Help me choose my next CF frame please !

proto_53

May 27, 2004
At the risk of starting a flame fest and also exposing myself to ridicule I thought I'd ask a pretty dumb question of you all.

Ok here goes. Flame suit on, start laughing.

I returned to to the cycling family two years back after a seven year enforced layoff (big motorcycle smash :( :eek: :mad: ) So picking up the fitness thread I started to do a bit of riding on my old Vitus 992. Bug starts to bite hard so I soon find an oldish but lovely 99 C40 and add it to my stable.

Start commuting to work 5 miles each way on my old mountain bike every day, rain or shine, so I'm getting reasonably fit. More riding at weekends - 30/40 milers so far. Managed almost 3000miles this year which is small beer to some but I'm pretty pleased with myself. I've made contact with a local club and I have ambitions of doing some age related road racing next year (I'll be rubbish at racing - always was!). BTW I'm 52 years old.

But I want a new bike, fresh out of the box, all mine, shiney and new. So I've been window shopping and come up with a short list of two manufacturers Parlee and Look. For reasons I won't go into here, I am in a postition to get a very good deal on either a Look 585 or an off the shelf (not custom) Parlee Z3. Parlee is slightly more expensive but not a lot and cost is not really a factor between these two. No point in suggesting another manufacturer, it HAS to be Look or Parlee.

I need someone to tell me to do one of the three following options:

1) buy the Look 585. safe option. Quality ride, Cycling weekly (Brit rag) "Race Bike of the Year", light cheaper. Not beautiful but very very nice. Better than I'll ever be.

2) Buy a Parlee Z3. Beautiful, understated, special. I'm told by someone who knows these things that feels "dead" compared to the Look. A bit more money. Better than I'll ever be.

3) Face reality - it's not the bike but the engine. I'm a fat old *******. And the C40 is lovely. Can't fault it. Better than I'll ever be.

OK over to you, choose me a new bike or bring me back to reality :)

proto_53 said:
At the risk of starting a flame fest and also exposing myself to ridicule I thought I'd ask a pretty dumb question of you all.

I returned to to the cycling family two years back after a seven year enforced layoff (big motorcycle smash :( :eek: :mad: ) So picking up the fitness thread I started to do a bit of riding on my old Vitus 992. Bug starts to bite hard so I soon find an oldish but lovely 99 C40 and add it to my stable.

Start commuting to work 5 miles each way on my old mountain bike every day, rain or shine, so I'm getting reasonably fit. More riding at weekends - 30/40 milers so far. Managed almost 3000miles this year which is small beer to some but I'm pretty pleased with myself. I've made contact with a local club and I have ambitions of doing some age related road racing next year (I'll be rubbish at racing - always was!). BTW I'm 52 years old.

But I want a new bike, fresh out of the box, all mine, shiney and new. So I've been window shopping and come up with a short list of two manufacturers Parlee and Look. For reasons I won't go into here, I am in a postition to get a very good deal on either a Look 585 or an off the shelf (not custom) Parlee Z3. Parlee is slightly more expensive but not a lot and cost is not really a factor between these two. No point in suggesting another manufacturer, it HAS to be Look or Parlee.

1) buy the Look 585. safe option. Quality ride, Cycling weekly (Brit rag) "Race Bike of the Year", light cheaper. Not beautiful but very very nice. Better than I'll ever be.

2) Buy a Parlee Z3. Beautiful, understated, special. I'm told by someone who knows these things that feels "dead" compared to the Look. A bit more money. Better than I'll ever be.

3) Face reality - it's not the bike but the engine. I'm a fat old *******. And the C40 is lovely. Can't fault it. Better than I'll ever be.

Go with the Parlee. It´s the only one of the three mentioned that you can have made in custom measurements. An option you should choose when you´re using this kind of money for a frame. Besides from that, you get something a little more unique than the other two frames even though they are great frames. The Parlee is also the only sub 1000 gram frame of the three mentioned.That said the C40 you have is more than enough for the riding you describe and still the best colnago ever made by that I mean that it was really ahead of it´s time when it came out something you cannot say about the c50.

proto_53 said:

Reality is that you don't need a new bike, but you want a new bike. That's good enough. Just pick the one you want the most; don't pay attention to mag reviewers about ride or other magical qualities.

Keep the C40 of course, since everyone needs at least two bikes.

I voted for keeping the C40. I think that's a cooler bike than either the Look or the Parlee... but get the Parlee anyway... I don't see too many of those out on the weekend club rides.

There are quite a few people driving around in a Porche Boxter... but the dude driving the Aston Martin will turn more heads... that's how I'd look at it. :cool:

being an owner of a couple of CF bike myself, I'll say ..it's option 3) face reality.

But then again ... we only go around once, I think ;)

having said that...the Parlee is special, to me, if it's custom. Since it's not customized to your fit, I'd say...the Look :)

Just to clarify things, I'm sized as Mr Average. I've been measured by www.bikefitting.com and both the Z3 and the Look are just about perfect for me size wise. In truth, my Colnago is one size too small!

Custom only. You might talk to Nick Crumpton at Crumptoncycles.com

And you won't run into another one like it.

Jim

Why go through this agony? Get one of each, in different colors, each with an SRM Pro and HED3 wheels. Then, your only agony will be which cool ride every day.

proto_53 said:
Just to clarify things, I'm sized as Mr Average. I've been measured by www.bikefitting.com and both the Z3 and the Look are just about perfect for me size wise. In truth, my Colnago is one size too small!

If I were you I'd go with the Parlee. I think the quality of the bikes Parlee make are outstanding and it's a good bling bling bike to ride. I am getting my second Calfee bike. If I was east coast I'd have chosen a Parlee. I'm not far from Craig's factory, though, so I chose a local carbon fiber bike maker.

eh, if you can afford it, buy the Look and Keep the C40 -- you only live once :)

"you only live once"...profound and original, hey? Quick, write in down :p

proto_53 said:
AH HA!!! There must be a law of full disclosure on these forums I tell ya...

Meh... alrighty then... My vote is still for the Parlee... however, I'd spec it with Campy parts... especially the wheels... nice...

I have been test-riding every carbon frame I could get my hands on over the last few months, and the Look 585 was one of the best. For me, it's currently one of my top choices for a second bike.

RapDaddyo said:
Why go through this agony? Get one of each, in different colors, each with an SRM Pro and HED3 wheels. Then, your only agony will be which cool ride every day.
Bingo! I was wondering why the poll allowed only one selection. ;)

Look 585. I have just bought one (still in box waiting to be built), and personally I think it is the most beautiful frame out there right now - classic lines, understated - oh, and I hear it rides pretty well too!