Help me choose Please!!! Gary Fisher Marlin vs. Rockhopper vs. Giant Yukon

punx

Mar 30, 2004
Ok I'm looking for a beginner MTB for everything from Popping wheelies downtown to riding trails. My Max price is $500. I've been looking at the Gary Fisher Marlin, the Specialized Rockhopper and Giant Yukon (All 2004 models). The are all around the same price $450 so thats not a factor. I really like the geometry of all three and I rode them all around the parking lot about 20 times....I bet they loved me. I don't know what good compents are so I couldn't tell the diff. I'm leaning towards the Giant Yukon because it has disc brakes the one thing the others don't have. But I have read that the drive train sucks in the Yukon and so does the front fork/susp. The Marlin and Rockhopper have the Manitou Six and the Yukon has the SR/Suntour XC60 (Whatever that is) I honestly don't know much so please give me your input if you will.......Since I'm a newbies will I notice the diff. between the shocks? Or are the Haynes Disc brakes even worth a damn on the Yukon......I'm 6'2 200lbs btw if it matters.

Thanks everyone!!

I don't know too much the bikes you're looking at, but I've seen very good reviews of the Manitou Six as an entry-level shock. Definitely much better than the SR/Suntour.

Nothing wrong with Hayes disks, but the price you pay is downgrading all the other components on the bike, and adding a bit of weight, probably onto an already slighty overweight bike. Unless you ride a lot in wet and muddy conditions v-brakes work just as well as disks, are easier to maintain and weigh less.

... so I would lean towards the Marlin or the Rockhopper.

I have a Marlin. You need one! I looked at a lot of bikes and decided on that one really based on the people in the local bike shop.

They treated me right as a new comer to the sport. That was in November.

Now I want another bike but like Lance says," It's not about the bike".

I want another bike in large part due to the passion the Marlin helped me re-discover.

Jerry

UPDATE: Ok I also have the option to buy a 1998 model Kona PAHOEHOE, Its got the following. Its in awesome shape and I think I can get it for less than $200. Whatta ya think? and thanks so much for the info so far! Your really helping me.

Easton Elite Aluminum
Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light
Dia Compe STS
Shimano Deore LX
Shimano UN-52
Ritchey Logic Clipless
Shimano IG-51
Shimano Deore LX 11-30
Shimano Deore LX
Shimano Deore XT
Shimano Deore XT Rapidfire
Kona DH Riser
Tahomma Sonne 4
Avid Single Digit 20RW
Avid Speed Dial 1.9L
Javva the Hubb
Shimano Deore LX
Mavix X221
DT Stainless 15g front & 14g rear
Kona Enter
Kona Break
SDG Ventura Kevlar
Kona Race Light
Chartreuse
14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
25.9 lbs (11.8 kg)

If the Kona is in good shape, fits you well, and you can get it for under $200, I'd buy it. The parts spec is substantially better than any of the new bikes you're looking at. They're all nice bikes but the Kona seems like the best bargain.

Originally posted by meehs
If the Kona is in good shape, fits you well, and you can get it for under $200, I'd buy it. The parts spec is substantially better than any of the new bikes you're looking at. They're all nice bikes but the Kona seems like the best bargain.

What would be the max I should pay for the Kona? I will need new tires and maybe some other stuff as they are still the original, I don't think the guy ever took it off the pavement it doesn't have a scratch.

Originally posted by punx
What would be the max I should pay for the Kona? I will need new tires and maybe some other stuff as they are still the original, I don't think the guy ever took it off the pavement it doesn't have a scratch.

Without looking at it I really couldn't say for sure. I don't know what that bike sold for new either. But with the components that you listed, considering it's in the condition you say it is, I'd say if you can get it for under $200 (as you said), that's a great deal!