help me choose - Schwinn vs GT (Hybrids)

frankinsmoke

Feb 29, 2012
Hey everyone,

After a long break from cycling I am again on the lookout for a bike. I have been looking around for a decent hybrid(rigid) and have shortlisted the following.

Schwinn Sporterra
Schwinn Sporterra Sport
GT Traffic 3.0 2011

The Sporterra seems to be a great bet, however the Sporterra Sport and the GT also look quite interesting. The latter two are also priced quite close to each other. I have gone through the fitting/sizing advise and figured out that L is just about right for me.

The only difference between the two sporterra variants is the drive train. This is where the Sport seems to be better. I am not sure where the GT stands in terms of build and components though it seems to have super tough tires.

I am looking for advice on whether the Sport variant is worth the extra money spent, and also if the GT should be considered here. General hardiness is also something that would be appreciated. Linked is a google doc with details on the components. Would be great if i could get some feedback on the same.

PS: This will be used for a daily commute of about 10kms each way, a mix of bylanes, highways and flyovers.

Link below
http://bit.ly/shwinnGT