Help Me Choose The Right Bike!

Aproxity

Nov 1, 2015
Hey all,

A couple years ago I went through two back surgeries on my lower back, and with a new job ill be biking a few miles each way to and from work 5-6 days a week.

I need help finding the right bike. I don't need anything fancy, I'm merely going to be using it to get around and that's about it (possibly some casual riding outside of work). I need something with a comfortable seat, and handlebars that I can hold on the side and top. I have a budget of about $750 but if i need to go a little over to find the right bike I can.

Any help/advice is appreciated; obviously I don't know too much about bikes.

Thank you so much

Zach

Visit a bike store or two and take a couple bikes out for a test ride. None of us can tell what your back can take as far as flexibility and position on the bike goes or what level of comfort, shock absorbtion or strength you are looking at.

Explain your condition in detail to the salesmen/women and maybe try out a hybrid with and without front suspension and perhaps a suspension seatpost.

And don't be scared away from a road bike with drop bars. I've got a back injury and ride racing bikes at age 62...and feel my best on the bike. I know several guys with shot and painful backs that ride racing style bikes, so you might want to consider a test ride or two on that type also.

There are several styles or sub-types of city bikes or commuter bikes that might best suit your initial riding demands. Let the salesfolks know what your commute will be, what you do for a living and what you see yourself taking with you on your commutes. Let them know if you will be riding in all types of weather or taking the car when it rains, etc.

Take your time shopping and enjoy the ride. I hope your back problems are minimal in the future.

Pardon me but I'm a bit scared of your condition. A back surgery is a major repair and I guess you have to be sure that your physical condition can take the rigors of riding. But in case your doctor gives you a go, what I can suggest is for you to drop by a bike store and test several bikes for the feel particularly with your back. How does it go with the shape of your body especially when you are exerting effort in the pedals? That's the vital part in riding. Just my thoughts.

Well, you ca buy the bikes online very easily. There are many bike stores online with world-shipment option. They also offer discounts. You can also buy them from the local stores.

Well, you ca buy the bikes online very easily. There are many bike stores online with world-shipment option. They also offer discounts. You can also buy them from the local stores.
I agree with the fact that there are many online stores where you can buy the cycle but I think that buying it from the local store will prove beneficial to you because you can easily negotiate with the seller and the short distance gives the another advantage. There are many world-class online stores but the price of the cycles in these stores is very high.

It all depends on your price range, to be honest. The higher the price, the better the quality, the longer the lifespan you will expect for the said bike. Cheaper ones break easily, and would be a liability when you are on a busy street, which may lead to an accident. A pricier one may sound pretty heavy now, but it will save you a lot of money from repairs in the next few years, which would equal it out, to be honest. Make sure you get one from a trusted dealer, and make sure to never buy second hand, as you won't know the problems of the bike, if it has any.

Have you tried riding the kind of bike you're wanting to get for any length of time? Some back injuries will make it very painful to ride almost any conventional bike in which case a recumbent might be the way to go, but those things aren't cheap so you may have to look on the use market. If possible try to ride a recumbent and see if it's better than a standard bike. There is a type of bike called a comfort bike, I think those are kind of awkward but it may work for you, so try those as well as hybrid bikes too.

Good luck in your search, I think you need to ride as many different kind of bikes as you can, and try to ride it far enough to know if you're back will stage a revolt.