help me choose



Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mart

Guest
After a long absence from mountain bikes and my old trek has long died, I have 2 bikes to
choose from

Claud Butler - Cape Wrath or Scott - Yecora 04'

unfortunatly i dont have thousands to spend on a bike, £400 top line

it has come down to these 2 bikes, which one?? any help would be appreciated !!!!

tnx
 
B

Bomba

Guest
Mart wrote:

> Claud Butler - Cape Wrath or Scott - Yecora 04'
>
> unfortunatly i dont have thousands to spend on a bike, £400 top line
>
> it has come down to these 2 bikes, which one??

If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
 
M

Mart

Guest
> If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
>
i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker

i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
(8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('

more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
"Mart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> >
> > If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
> >
> i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
>
> i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
> (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('
>
> more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>>>
>
> i was looking at the cape wrath, but i ended up going for the olympus, not
a serious MTB i know, but i can thrash it about, get it dirty, and then ride it to work as well

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/lpb/cb/cyclepages/olympus.html
 
B

Bomba

Guest
Mart wrote:
>>If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
>>
>
> i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker

We try not to be 'serious' here. It's about having fun after all :)

> i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
> (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('

You missed my point. I wasn't encouraging you to spend loads - more that there are probably better
bikes for the money. The Trek 4500, the Rockhopper Disc and the Merlin Malt 1 spring to mind. The
Kona Fire Mountain if you can stretch to it.
 
M

Mart

Guest
cheers for the info buddy, much appreciated :)
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mart wrote:
> >>If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
> >>
> >
> > i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
>
> We try not to be 'serious' here. It's about having fun after all :)
>
> > i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is
mainly
> > for commuting to work (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify
> > spending a bundle :('
>
> You missed my point. I wasn't encouraging you to spend loads - more that there are probably better
> bikes for the money. The Trek 4500, the Rockhopper Disc and the Merlin Malt 1 spring to mind. The
> Kona Fire Mountain if you can stretch to it.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
"Mart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> >
> > If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
> >
> i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
>
> i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
> (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('
>
> more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>>>

I'm with Bomba on this - had a Claude Butler (still got the frame actually), and didn't care for
it at all. Damned heavy it was, but flexy as hell (bad flex at the bottom bracket area - stomp on
the pedals, and see the chain ring hit the front derailleur cage, and I'm only light) . Now, the
newer lines seem to be lighter, but I just don't think they're on the MTB ball enough, or if
they're ay stiffer.

Shaun aRe
 
Status
Not open for further replies.