help me choose

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mart, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Mart

    Mart Guest

    After a long absence from mountain bikes and my old trek has long died, I have 2 bikes to
    choose from

    Claud Butler - Cape Wrath or Scott - Yecora 04'

    unfortunatly i dont have thousands to spend on a bike, £400 top line

    it has come down to these 2 bikes, which one?? any help would be appreciated !!!!

    tnx

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mart wrote:

    > Claud Butler - Cape Wrath or Scott - Yecora 04'
    >
    > unfortunatly i dont have thousands to spend on a bike, £400 top line
    >
    > it has come down to these 2 bikes, which one??

    If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...

  3. Mart

    Mart Guest

    > If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...

    i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker

    i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
    (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('

    more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Mart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
    > >
    > i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
    >
    > i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
    > (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('
    >
    > more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>>>
    >
    > i was looking at the cape wrath, but i ended up going for the olympus, not
    a serious MTB i know, but i can thrash it about, get it dirty, and then ride it to work as well

    http://www.bikecare.co.uk/lpb/cb/cyclepages/olympus.html

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mart wrote:
    >>If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
    >>

    > i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker

    We try not to be 'serious' here. It's about having fun after all :)

    > i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
    > (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('

    You missed my point. I wasn't encouraging you to spend loads - more that there are probably better
    bikes for the money. The Trek 4500, the Rockhopper Disc and the Merlin Malt 1 spring to mind. The
    Kona Fire Mountain if you can stretch to it.

  6. Mart

    Mart Guest

    cheers for the info buddy, much appreciated :)
    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mart wrote:
    > >>If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
    > >>

    > > i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
    >
    > We try not to be 'serious' here. It's about having fun after all :)
    >
    > > i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is
    mainly
    > > for commuting to work (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify
    > > spending a bundle :('
    >
    > You missed my point. I wasn't encouraging you to spend loads - more that there are probably better
    > bikes for the money. The Trek 4500, the Rockhopper Disc and the Merlin Malt 1 spring to mind. The
    > Kona Fire Mountain if you can stretch to it.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Mart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > If it /had/ to be out of those two, I'd go with the Scott. But...
    > >
    > i'm not a serious (is the the right word??) mountain biker
    >
    > i know there are a HELL of a lot better bikes out there but this is mainly for commuting to work
    > (8miles a day) and having a little bit of fun at weekends, i cant justify spending a bundle :('
    >
    > more so cos the wife wants a new kitchen <<grrrrr>>>

    I'm with Bomba on this - had a Claude Butler (still got the frame actually), and didn't care for
    it at all. Damned heavy it was, but flexy as hell (bad flex at the bottom bracket area - stomp on
    the pedals, and see the chain ring hit the front derailleur cage, and I'm only light) . Now, the
    newer lines seem to be lighter, but I just don't think they're on the MTB ball enough, or if
    they're ay stiffer.

    Shaun aRe