Help me decide:Bianchi XL vs. Giant TCR 2

Sanford

Mar 2, 2005
Help me decide between the two. The Bianchi would be built up with Ultegra and Mavic Elites and goes for $400 more.

I've never ridden a giant, so I really can't comment on them...but, I bought an xl about a month ago, and I can't imagine a bicycle being any better.

Sanford said:
Help me decide between the two. The Bianchi would be built up with Ultegra and Mavic Elites and goes for $400 more.

I ride an XL carbon and I love it. I also test rode a 04 Giant TCR-1 and the Bianchi was a world nicer. It felt much stiffer and more alive. I bought the Bianchi because I got a deal on it and I really need a 55cm frame to fit me right. That is getting harder to find. Buy the one that fits you the best. They are both good bikes.

I vote for Bianchi, I would not hesitate for a minute to be honest...Giant can ride as well but for me it is no comparison

Good Luck;)

Sanford said:
I'm a big time Italian bike fan. I would say go for the Bianchi. ;)

Bianchi! No doubt about it
It will be better to go to a LBS with both bikes so u can try it on
and see which one make u smile
If u choose Bianchi, u wont regret for the choice!

Sanford said:
hi,
sounds like a hard choice.
i've just bought a tcr 2 with velocity deep dish rims with bladed spokes.
i can't compare it with the bianchi as i haven't ridden one, but the giant is very good when compared with my old 1998 giant cfr.
know that statement is a bit ho hum.
my only fair statement then would be to queries bianchi's ability to compete with giant's ecomonies of scale.
maybe i'm wrong but i couldn't see bianchi matching giant equpment wise if the bikes were the same price.
i do recognise that the bianch label will have more consumer prestige regardless of how good the giant is.
also where is the bianchi frame made? i notice colnago have gone to giant for their mid range carbon frames. if they're forced to do so maybe bianchi are too.
all the best anyway,
buy the one that feels the best as that what you'll have to live with every day, not the label.

greenpeter2001 said:
hi,
also where is the bianchi frame made?

All of Bianchi's Reparto Corse frames are made in Italy (XL carbon included). The regular road line is made in Asia somewhere.

Ronanmk said:
Do you reeeeally like Bianchi's Turquoise combination?

Get the Giant !

damn right I like the color. and it has a name...celeste.

remember...bianchi has been making bikes for 120 years. giant has been making bikes for about 120 minutes.

and the xl is made in italy.

rv said:
damn right I like the color. and it has a name...celeste.

remember...bianchi has been making bikes for 120 years. giant has been making bikes for about 120 minutes.

and the xl is made in italy.
hi,
I don't doubt bianchi's bike making pedigree but i would query, seeing you've raised it how long they have been making carbon frames.
giant have been making them for quite while and the fact colnago are making carbon frames with them must be a plus.
another issue to consider is the warranty, my giant TCR 2 comes with a 5 year warranty which i have to say disappointed me a little as my 1998 giant CFR came with a 20 year warranty.
by the way before you say racing negates the warranty so its not relevant, i'm only a commuter so a long warranty is important to me.
any what's the bianchi warranty?
just the same i realise a long warranty may not be that important to sanford if he races.
atb

What is it about other peoples opinions that could possibly help you make the 'best' choice for you. What's your criteria: components, price, resale, image, ride, fit? I'm assuming that you've test ridden each of them in your size, if not I'd start there. Before purchasing my current bike, I test rode it and the other one under consideration three times before making my decision. Those test rides were up to 40 minutes in lenght.

This is really all about names. There is nothing wrong with Giants or Shimano at all and in your case I would go that way.

The other thing to consider is do you really want to ride around on a Bianchi with shimano parts on it?.... Just a thought!

Jay

otherworld said:
The other thing to consider is do you really want to ride around on a Bianchi with shimano parts on it?.... Just a thought!

Jay

Very good point.

Get the Bianchi with Centaur!

hey there pete,
second time you brought up this connection, where can i look for proof of this claim please? it does contradict the colnago '05 catalog.

BTW, would you be a peter green fan? maybe heard "a hard road" or, "rattlesnake shake"

greenpeter2001 said:
hi,
giant have been making them for quite while and the fact colnago are making carbon frames with them must be a plus.
atb

I am another Pete, but will confirm what that Pete said. :p

Colnago has announced that, starting with production this year, they will be having their mid-range carbon fiber frames manufactured in Taiwan. Their high end frames will continue (so they say) to be made in Italy.

No time to track down a source - pretending to work at the moment! :D