Help me decide on bike computer

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Well I lost my CS200, so now I am looking for a new one. After few weeks research, I like the Garmin Edge 305. However I also think if I should buy Garmin Edge when the new version comes out.
In the mean time, I might get a Sigma 1606L (even with this one, I'm unsure if I should get the wired or wireless one).

So I really appreciate it if you can give me feedback whether to get Garmin Edge 305 now or wait for later and getting Sigma computer for now.

mysrh said:
Well I lost my CS200, so now I am looking for a new one. After few weeks research, I like the Garmin Edge 305. However I also think if I should buy Garmin Edge when the new version comes out.
In the mean time, I might get a Sigma 1606L (even with this one, I'm unsure if I should get the wired or wireless one).

So I really appreciate it if you can give me feedback whether to get Garmin Edge 305 now or wait for later and getting Sigma computer for now.
I have the wired 1606L and it is bombproof. It is an absolutely excellent computer which I would not change for any wireless one. The wired system is so much more reliable, and doesn't need extra batteries.

The Garmin is a great GPS, not so sure about heartrate. A good friend who does alot of adventure sports (river kayaking, mtb, etc.etc.) has the forerunner 201 as he is set onn the idea that you don't need a HRM. It is an excellent GPS and works very well regarding speed, distance, average, but its elevation feature is less than desirable, only useful if there is some serious elevation occurring. I don't see why you shouldn't get the Garmin if you want its GPS, heart rate and other features. Otherwise the Sigma will not let you down.

Yeah, I do want the Garmin. Having read much about it, I have a fair idea what its trong and weakness. That's one reason why I might want to wait till Garmin release it new Edge version. For the meantime, Sigma will do me great (as you suggested before :)). There might even time when I feel the Sigma will do me fine and I don't need to change to Garmin, who knows.

mysrh said:

Get the Garmin 305 - I love mine. It's a beautiful thing - no S.

bioWheel

Oh forgot to ask this. I saw at Phantomcycles.com.au. this store sells the wired Sigma and that we can choose optional cadence kit. The kit offered is either wired or wireless cadence.

Do you think Sigma (wired) can accept wireless cadence? If it does, I might go with this.

mysrh said:
Oh forgot to ask this. I saw at Phantomcycles.com.au. this store sells the wired Sigma and that we can choose optional cadence kit. The kit offered is either wired or wireless cadence.

Do you think Sigma (wired) can accept wireless cadence? If it does, I might go with this.
the cadence comes free with the computer, wireless cadence is $50 extra. look at Torpedo7.com.au for wireless.

bobbyOCR said:
the cadence comes free with the computer, wireless cadence is $50 extra. look at Torpedo7.com.au for wireless.
So you are saying the wired computer can detect the wireless cadence?

mysrh said:
So you are saying the wired computer can detect the wireless cadence?

No you need a wireless computer for the wireless cadence.

Go with the Edge, hubby absolutely loves his - he got the cadence and HRM as well.

That said, I have a Sigma 1600 wired computer with cadence (got it cheap when the 1606 came out) which is fine for my needs, so it really depends on what you want to do with your bike computer.

Thanks for that Matagi. Well for the time being I am getting Sigma until the new Edge comes out. I consider Edge because they seem to cause little or no trouble for many people and its accuracy as well. Plus I love gadget :p

Hope they will be things that need to be improved from the 305. The forum of Garmin should give the company the idea what to do. And even if the impprovements aren't worth the price, there's always Edge 305 to be bought cheaper.

But the question (at least my question it is :rolleyes:) when the new version will come.

Sage23 said:
Go with the Sigma. I love mine (wired)!!!! :cool:

It's been six months since this post, do you still love the Sigma? I'm thinking of gettng one, too. Wireless.