Help me find a good Hybrid or Cyclocross bike please

vpr80

Apr 13, 2006
Hey, I've been reading a bunch of the older posts and I am looking to buy a Hybrid bike, but I am having a hard time finding exactly what I want for a little less than crazy money. I am basically looking for a bike that can handle light off-road duty like hard pack bike trails. I do not want a MTB and a Road bike will not be able to handle dirt so I am left with either a Hybrid or a Cyclocross.

I want flat bars so a Cyclocross is not really gonna do it for me, but I may be convinced otherwise....any suggestions?

Oh yeah and the price...ideally I really would like this bike to be $700-$100 out the door.

Here is what I was looking for in a bike:
700c or 29" Wheels - On the wider side like 35/38/42
Disk Brakes - This is pretty much a must, I really want disks.
Possibility to change to 26" MTB wheels/tires - not a must but would be nice.
Front shock - again not a must but would be really nice.

Here is what I found so far:
Gary Fisher Utopia - So far this the favorite. Right $$$ and components.
Gary Fisher Montare - Nice upgrade on Utopia but a bit too much $$$ unless I can find it on sale.
Trek Soho - Really like this one, but too pricy.
Trek 7.5 Disk - Really like this one, but Utopia is the same plus a shock for less $$$.
Cannondale Bad Boy Disk/Ultra - Also REALLY like these, but too much $$$.

Kona Dew Deluxe/Dr Dew - Looks nice, but how does it compare to the others???

Ok so any other suggestions? At this point I am probably going to try to get the Utopia, but I was wondering if there are any other bikes I should consider???

Thanks a lot.

I love my bad boy.. Too bad I don't ride it enough. I was in the same situation as you a few years ago. Bought the bad boy. Now i am in the process of buying a road bike and putting full time mountain wheels on the bad boy.. best of luck.

vpr80 said:
Hey, I've been reading a bunch of the older posts and I am looking to buy a Hybrid bike, but I am having a hard time finding exactly what I want for a little less than crazy money. I am basically looking for a bike that can handle light off-road duty like hard pack bike trails. I do not want a MTB and a Road bike will not be able to handle dirt so I am left with either a Hybrid or a Cyclocross.

I want flat bars so a Cyclocross is not really gonna do it for me, but I may be convinced otherwise....any suggestions?

Oh yeah and the price...ideally I really would like this bike to be $700-$100 out the door.

Here is what I was looking for in a bike:
700c or 29" Wheels - On the wider side like 35/38/42
Possibility to change to 26" MTB wheels/tires - not a must but would be nice.
Front shock - again not a must but would be really nice.

Here is what I found so far:
Gary Fisher Utopia - So far this the favorite. Right $$$ and components.
Gary Fisher Montare - Nice upgrade on Utopia but a bit too much $$$ unless I can find it on sale.
Trek Soho - Really like this one, but too pricy.
Trek 7.5 Disk - Really like this one, but Utopia is the same plus a shock for less $$$.
Cannondale Bad Boy Disk/Ultra - Also REALLY like these, but too much $$$.

Ok so any other suggestions? At this point I am probably going to try to get the Utopia, but I was wondering if there are any other bikes I should consider???

Thanks a lot.

hehehehe this is not helping me....i already like but its just too much $$$ for me....wish it was a few hundred less and I would get it in a second.

zoepup said:
I love my bad boy.. Too bad I don't ride it enough. I was in the same situation as you a few years ago. Bought the bad boy. Now i am in the process of buying a road bike and putting full time mountain wheels on the bad boy.. best of luck.

vpr80 said:

Why so set on disk brakes? Rim brakes worked for years on MTBs (and still do). If you are primarily riding "light off road" like hard pack trails in mainly dry conditions, a rim brake will provide plenty of braking power. The real advantages of disks are that they don't get gunked up by the mud, work better in the rain, and will still work well if the rim gets really wacked out of true. Disadvantages are that they are generally heavier, more expensive, and can be harder to set-up.

Considering a rim brake equipped bike would open up more possibilities in your budget range.

the avanti bike looks really nice, but i can't get it in the US

so let me ask this....of the bikes that I am looking at....which one is the best bike for money. the reason i ask is because i've read reviews where people said one is a better value while the another one is not.

for the cheaper bikes?
Gary Fisher Utopia OR
Trek 7.5FX Disk OR
Kona Dew Deluxe

for the more expensive ones?
Cannondale Bad Boy Disk OR
Trek Soho OR
Gary Fisher Monatre OR
Kona Dr. Dew OR
Sepecialized Crossroads XC Pro

Thanks for the help guys....I am just new to this so I look at the two groups and the bike seem very similar so I just don't know how to pick one.

vpr80 said:
I am just new to this so I look at the two groups and the bike seem very similar so I just don't know how to pick one.
There is no right or wrong answer. All of these bikes are similar in quality. The higher priced bikes have slightly better components and more bells and whistles (like the ability to lock out the suspension on the fork), but even the lower priced bikes have good, reliable components.

The Trek has 32 mm tires, the Specialized has 38 mm tires and the Fisher has 42 mm tires. In general, wider tires are slower but give a more comfortable and secure ride, especially in off-road situations. Which is right for you is a personal preference. All of these are wide enough for the type of off-road riding you described, and all are faster than mountain bike tires on the road.

There might be slight differences in frame geometry, but again, that is a personal preference. Try them out and see which feels better to you.

The bottom line is that none of these bikes are any "better" than the others. They might be different, but none is better. Unless you plan to ride in the rain or mud, IMHO, disc brakes are a waste of money.

Rick,
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I actually tried to look at these bikes earlier this week and went to all the bike shops in the area, but no one had any of these bikes in stock. All they had was lower end models. The only ones I actually saw were the Trek 7.5FX and 7.3FX Disk and I really liked those.

Ohhh hell I don't know. The one thing that I did learn while reading the zillion and a half posts is that I don't want to spend big money on a hybrid. Seems like a ton of people said the exact same thing where they bought a hybrid then got a road bike because it was better. Maybe I'll just get a cheaper hybrid to play on, and then if I get into it, buy a real road bike and stick fatter tires on the hybrid for days in the dirt.

I was looking at bikes locally so it was between these 4 bikes for me:

Specialized Sirrus, Kona VFR 3, Kona Dew Deluxe, Kona Dr. Dew.

I bought the Dr. Dew and am quite happy with it. It's more on the mountain bike side of hybrid, so strong frame, sloping top tube, wider tires etc. the only problem I've had was that it was a pain to mount a pannier rack but that was because of the disc brakes... nothing a dremel and a hammer couldn't fix though.

intesting read/review of the Dr. Dew by dirt mag http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7686

All I can say (again) is that I love my Bad Boy Ultra. It is a great ride with the road rims and tires. I have it in now and will probably get rid of the road rims and put mountain on it.

Although I like it... I think most of my riding is road. So I will be buying a road bike inthe next month. I thought of seeling the badboy, but I am leaving to keeping it for off road.

Z

DAMN it stop it....this is just teasing :)

I actually found someone selling a brand new Kona Dew Deluxe so I am going to go look at it tomorrow and if all is ok, then I'll get that for now. Its cheap and will do just fine for now. If I really start biking a lot then I will get a better bike next year.

zoepup said:
All I can say (again) is that I love my Bad Boy Ultra. It is a great ride with the road rims and tires. I have it in now and will probably get rid of the road rims and put mountain on it.

Although I like it... I think most of my riding is road. So I will be buying a road bike inthe next month. I thought of seeling the badboy, but I am leaving to keeping it for off road.

Z

I was at the saame cross roads a cuple years ago and thoguht the bad boy would be all I need. Well..... I still believe having a road and MTB (separate) is the way to go. Good luck with you mtb. You will enjoy it and in a couple years you may want to upgrade.

Z

Try used if you are set on a kickass bike at a lower price - if you ride before you buy you shouldn't be in for any problems.

As far as the disk brakes go - "don't believe the hype" - unless you really really really need them they are little more than a pain in the "cooly" (that's phoenetical spelling for culi or culo). Unless you are riding a front suspension, you don't really need them. . . . but hey! the propaganda wizards have you under their spell so kudos to them.

happy trials

I find myself in the same predicament of choosing a new bike. My current ride is or was a Raleigh hybrid from 1990 where the frame recently gave out(@#%&):mad: ! After reviewing the bikes currently available I've come up with a few winners. At the top of the list of dream bikes is the Specialized crossroads xc pro. There seems to be about 5 different models of this bike like the new dodge charger:D. The Gary Fisher models you mentioned. The Scott Sportster "P" variants look good as well. Cannondale interceptor a cop bike & the Adventure model(s). From Trek there's the 7500.

How does one compare these models for a side by side of the components for the $$$:confused: . How does one really compare frame quality for example when all the companies mentioned have there own lingo for the materials they use:confused: .

zoepup said:
I was at the saame cross roads a cuple years ago and thoguht the bad boy would be all I need. Well..... I still believe having a road and MTB (separate) is the way to go. Good luck with you mtb. You will enjoy it and in a couple years you may want to upgrade.

Z

I completely agree with this. Although I completely understand why people do it, I don't think humming and hawing about the perfect bike at the perfect price point that is to magically fill their exact on/off road requirements ends up with a lot of success.

Nothing beats a good road bike on the road and nothing beats a good mountain bike on the trails. When it comes to buying a hybrid because it's an economical way to fill a gap across two disciplines, my answer is that "Instead of getting a bike that's made to perform across disciplines, you actually get a bike that isn't good at either."

I actually have a road bike, mountain bike, and hybrid. My hybrid is more of an inexpensive performance hybrid (Trek 7.3 FX) as opposed to a comfort hybrid. I use it strictly for urban commuting. If you just want to get into cycling, then what you need is a bike to get started. If you're looking for the perfect "do-it-all" bike and you become a regular cyclist, you might not find that the hybrid is the magic solution.

Contrary to opinion in this thread... I will never buy another bike without disc brakes (well maybe a road bike). I really wonder if the people recommending rim brakes have ever owned discs.

I've owned the hydraulic variety and have found them to be more powerful, better in the rain, no or low-maintenance, and don't cause your rims to wear out. I commute rain or shine and was replacing brake pads about 1nce a month. I also like to have consistent braking even if its raining.

hedgehog said:
Contrary to opinion in this thread... I will never buy another bike without disc brakes (well maybe a road bike). I really wonder if the people recommending rim brakes have ever owned discs.

I've owned the hydraulic variety and have found them to be more powerful, better in the rain, no or low-maintenance, and don't cause your rims to wear out. I commute rain or shine and was replacing brake pads about 1nce a month. I also like to have consistent braking even if its raining.
If you know how to deal with your rim breaks (I'm talking adjusting here) you shouldn't have any problems - I've ridden on disc breaks but am only impressed with their quality on full suspensions - otherwise I can't justify the expense. Even in the rain I have more problems locking up than not stopping fast enough. But hey, whatever works. I don't want to discourage anyone here, I just know an old specialized rep. that told me about the gimics employed to increase sales (again "don't believe the hype").

As far as the rimwear goes - every couple thousand miles or so new rims are a welcomed change of pace.