Help me find or invent a quick-release rack bolt

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage fenders,
    both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I figure it
    should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind of
    lever-activated cam quick release.

    I'm trying to avoid having to constantly torque nuts on and off. My inclination is always to tighten
    them very tight, and use locktite, so they stay on forever. That's fine, but the M5x0.8 rack bolts
    have fine threads, and they tend to strip over time if I'm frequently torquing (sp?) them on and
    off. I also don't want to risk damaging the threads in the frame eyelets for obvious reasons.

    I'd rather have a quick-relase type lever, though much smaller than an axle quick-release since the
    force needed to hold a rack to the frame is small compared with holding an axle in an open-ended
    dropout, and I don't mind if it comes loose since I can tighten it by hand on the road/trail.
    Obviously this quick-release can't drop out since it'll go through the brazed eyelet instead of an
    open-sided dropout, but I wouldn't mind screwing the quick-release end cap all the way on and off
    each time with my fingers. I've never stripped quick-release threads.

    I imagine this quick-release to be identical to an axle quick-release, in that the post is
    unthreaded in the middle (thus NOT engaging the threads in the frame eyelet), and threaded on the
    end to engage a large nut that can be turned by hand.

    Do smaller quick-releases exist for any other purpose? Would it be possible to get parts to
    construct the lever/cam part? Do nuts exist for hand tightening like standard quick-release nuts?

    Tags:

  2. "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage
    > fenders, both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I
    > figure it should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind of
    > lever-activated cam quick release.
    >
    > I'm trying to avoid having to constantly torque nuts on and off. My inclination is always to
    > tighten them very tight, and use locktite, so they stay on forever. That's fine, but the M5x0.8
    > rack bolts have fine threads, and they tend to strip over time if I'm frequently torquing (sp?)
    > them on and off. I also don't want to risk damaging the threads in the frame eyelets for obvious
    > reasons.
    >
    > I'd rather have a quick-relase type lever, though much smaller than an axle quick-release since
    > the force needed to hold a rack to the frame is small compared with holding an axle in an
    > open-ended dropout, and I don't mind if it comes loose since I can tighten it by hand on the
    > road/trail. Obviously this quick-release can't drop out since it'll go through the brazed eyelet
    > instead of an open-sided dropout, but I wouldn't mind screwing the quick-release end cap all the
    > way on and off each time with my fingers. I've never stripped quick-release threads.
    >
    > I imagine this quick-release to be identical to an axle quick-release, in that the post is
    > unthreaded in the middle (thus NOT engaging the threads in the frame eyelet), and threaded on the
    > end to engage a large nut that can be turned by hand.
    >
    > Do smaller quick-releases exist for any other purpose? Would it be possible to get parts to
    > construct the lever/cam part? Do nuts exist for hand tightening like standard quick-release nuts?

    You could use wing-nuts, but I think anything other than the standard mounting bolts would be a PITA
    and more trouble (and cost) than they are worth.

    Mounting bolts for rear racks don't need to be tight, just snug. And NOT lock-tightened! Grease
    the threads, snug 'em down and they will stay that way for a long time. Easy to remove when the
    time comes.

  3. Locktite on a bicycle should only be used on rare occasion. Most bolts are greased so they don't
    seize and ruin the threads. Magura has a neat tidy quick release for their hydraulic rim brakes,
    threads are 6x1mm it might be possible to modify the bolts to a smaller thread size or enlarge
    the frame.

  4. On 20 Jun 2003, Michael wrote:

    > I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage
    > fenders, both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I
    > figure it should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind of
    > lever-activated cam quick release.

    I've never seen such a thing...but they might exist somewhere.

    Suggest you use a nut-driver (instead of a wrench) to limit your ability to apply torque to those
    little bolts. Keep them greased, should last a long time without stripping. Use nylon-insert
    locknuts if they loosen. If you are in a hurry, get an electric screwdriver with nutdriver
    attachment.

  5. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    Doug Milliken <[email protected]> writes:

    > On 20 Jun 2003, Michael wrote:
    >
    > > I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage
    > > fenders, both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I
    > > figure it should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind
    > > of lever-activated cam quick release.
    >

    > I've never seen such a thing...but they might exist somewhere.

    If the load is light enough, there are plenty of seatpost racks that have quick release. Generally
    rated for 20 pounds, it seems.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=13280

    Sam

  6. Trent Piepho

    Trent Piepho Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm trying to avoid having to constantly torque nuts on and off. My inclination is always to
    >tighten them very tight, and use locktite, so they stay on forever. That's fine, but the M5x0.8
    >rack bolts have fine threads, and they tend to strip over time if I'm frequently torquing (sp?)
    >them on and off. I also don't want to risk damaging the threads in the frame eyelets for
    >obvious reasons.

    Run the bolt though from the other side, so that the threaded end is sticking out of the dropout.
    This gives you a nice threaded post to put your rack on, when you then secure with wingnuts from the
    outside. You still have to take the wingnuts on and off, but there's no risk of damaging the frame
    eyelets since you never have to remove the bolt.

    >possible to get parts to construct the lever/cam part? Do nuts exist for hand tightening like
    >standard quick-release nuts?

    You can get wing-nuts, as well as oversized knurled nuts designed to be hand tightened.

  7. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On 20 Jun 2003 10:44:11 -0700, Sam Huffman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Doug Milliken <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> On 20 Jun 2003, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >> > I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage
    >> > fenders, both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I
    >> > figure it should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind
    >> > of lever-activated cam quick release.

    For the rack, put the bolts through the frame mounts pointing outwards and secure the rack using
    wing-nuts.

    For the mudguards, there are already quick release systems on the market (a safety aid).

  8. On 20 Jun 2003 07:28:21 -0700, [email protected] (Michael) wrote:

    >I want to be able to easily put on and take off my rear rack, and possibly my full-coverage
    >fenders, both of which normally mount to frame eyelets using standard M5x0.8 bolts and nuts. I
    >figure it should be as easy to do as taking off and putting on a wheel, that is with some kind of
    >lever-activated cam quick release.

    Use zipties. Cut 'em off when you're done. Even with several spare sets, it's a lot lighter
    than QR bolts.

    Jasper