Help me fix my bike

Wotcher,

I've got an 8 year old commuter which I'm affectionate about. I
overhauled the hubs today and discovered the mystery of why I can't
align my rear wheel: the axle is bent.

Its a non-quick release. The bend seems to be gentle and across the
entire length of the axle. Can I expect to find a replacement at LBS?

Given that my rear axle is bent, I'm suspicious of the condition of my
bottom bracket. How would I test its straightness? Given that there's
bending, is the frame possibly also bent?

Finally, I reckon that my front chain ring is also on the way out.

Now the *simple* solution, of buy a new bike, is domestically
impossible. So any ideas of what I can do to get this on the road, or
in what form I should get it on the road given that the chain ring is
pretty much karked it.

yours,
Sam R.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 01:19:27 -0700, samuel.russell wrote:

> I've got an 8 year old commuter which I'm affectionate about. I
> overhauled the hubs today and discovered the mystery of why I can't
> align my rear wheel: the axle is bent.

Mountain bike or roadie? Given it's non QR I'm guessing a low-mid range
MTB, but I could be wrong.

Rear wheel axles are - in general - more or less universal. You may or may
not need to pull off the gears at the back to swap yours. If you can get
access to the cone nuts - the thin nuts that hold the hub together - you
can probably pull the axle out and put in a replacement, but the bearing
adjustment using the cones can be fiddly.

I've got this ****ling suspicion that a QR axle is around $15, but it's
been ages since I've replaced one. Can't see a non-QR being any more
expensive, given it's basically a bit of threaded rod. However there'd be
a labour charge to swap it, so you could be up for around $50-60.

> Given that my rear axle is bent, I'm suspicious of the condition of my
> bottom bracket. How would I test its straightness? Given that there's
> bending, is the frame possibly also bent?

Pull the chain off the chainrings and give the cranks a spin. Look down
and see if there's an obvious wobble. Then try to work out whether that's
from the chainring being bent or the BB spindle. If it's not obviously
bent it should work OK.

If you suspect the frame is bent drop a plumb line
(string with a weight, basically) and check everything is reasonably
vertically aligned. Then run a string from one rear dropout around the
steerer tube (front) and back to the other dropout. A well aligned frame
should be exactly the same distance, so the mid point of the string should
be the middle of the steerer tube.

> Now the *simple* solution, of buy a new bike, is domestically
> impossible. So any ideas of what I can do to get this on the road, or
> in what form I should get it on the road given that the chain ring is
> pretty much karked it.

Given what you've described, you're probably up for around $100 in parts
and labour to get it into a reasonably rideable state. If you're
reasonably handy you can probably halve this figure, but you'll need the
parts. Keep an eye out for a council cleanup where you can cannibalise
parts? I've seen a few quite rideable rear wheels in thrown out bikes
(hell, a few quite rideable bikes - my station bike needs a new front
wheel due to advancing crappiness, but after that it'll be rideable again).

Can anyone recommend a good LBS around Newcastle? City Bike Depot in the
Sydney CBD is easy to get to by train, as are Hornsby cycles and
Turramurra Cyclery. They'd all be able to provide parts and service, but
I've NFI on costs other than my guesstimates above.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Random Data wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good LBS around Newcastle?

Gateshead Cycles ponied up to provide the price money for the State XC
up & Killingworth today so I'll give them a plug. I'm assuming they're
in Newcastle but you can't tell from their website
http://www.gatesheadcycles.com.au/ which it truely dreadful.

Hadley Cycles gets mixed reports from the locals.

Parbs

[email protected] wrote:

> Its a non-quick release. The bend seems to be gentle and across the
> entire length of the axle. Can I expect to find a replacement at LBS?

Yes, just take the old one and some nuts/cones in to make sure you get
one of the same length and same thread.

> Given that my rear axle is bent, I'm suspicious of the condition of my
> bottom bracket. How would I test its straightness? Given that there's
> bending, is the frame possibly also bent?

Why would your bottom bracket be bent? I've bent and broken a few axles
(jumps and fast rough descents), but never a BB.

The quality of steel in axles is shite compared to the quality of the
stell in bottom brackets (crank axles).

> Finally, I reckon that my front chain ring is also on the way out.

Why?
How many chains has it worn out?

> Now the *simple* solution, of buy a new bike, is domestically
> impossible.

Depends on the quality.?

> So any ideas of what I can do to get this on the road, or
> in what form I should get it on the road given that the chain ring is
> pretty much karked it.

Replace bent axle (pick up another spare at same time).
Replace chain ring. Also convenient to examine gear ratios and see if
you want to cahnge.

Random Data asked,

> Mountain bike or roadie? Given it's non QR I'm guessing a low-mid range
> MTB, but I could be wrong.

Early 700c hybrid, so mtb components.

RD also provided much useful wisdom. I did have my eye on an identical
era mtb which had been abandoned on the street to replace the drive
train, but it was recycled by someone else before I got to it.

I can't unfortunately recommend a good Newcastle bike store. I used to
go to the old one down the bottom of Beaumont Street run by the old
mechanic, but he's closed now. Apart from that I was at the "barely
able to change tyres" stage when I was last in Newcastle. You could try
the bicycle shop in woy woy. They were very helpful when my gf bought
her bike. Good online shop - www.bicyclestore.com.au/

Terry Collins also provided wisdom:

> Why would your bottom bracket be bent? I've bent and broken a few axles
> (jumps and fast rough descents), but never a BB.

I've been a bit suspicious of it, I haven't overhauled it personally
(next step in my learning mechanics). Its an old, hammered bike.

> > Finally, I reckon that my front chain ring is also on the way out.

> Why?
> How many chains has it worn out?

3 chains in 8 years, but the rear cogs were worn to bits (first chain
was on for five years or more) when I last took it through an LBS and
the new chain is skipping on the front something horrid.

> > Now the *simple* solution, of buy a new bike, is domestically
> > impossible.

> Depends on the quality.?

I'm on a two bike maximum. Its a rule I agree with. Even if I'd go on
to get a new bike, this one needs to be recycled up to speed to be
passed on to a friend and convert another inner urban person to riding.

> > So any ideas of what I can do to get this on the road, or
> > in what form I should get it on the road given that the chain ring is
> > pretty much karked it.

> Replace bent axle (pick up another spare at same time).
> Replace chain ring. Also convenient to examine gear ratios and see if
> you want to change.

Good ideas. I think I'll spend my money on parts and tools, and do the
labour myself.

thanks for all the help and detailed instructions.
Sam R.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:01:11 +0000, Parbs wrote:

> Gateshead Cycles ponied up to provide the price money for the State XC
> up & Killingworth today so I'll give them a plug.

Now I'm fairly sure Tim C and Stuart have been telling porkies. You
weren't Goating in Melbourne on Friday were you?

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
The RSPCA at the end of the road where I work also

[email protected] wrote:

> 3 chains in 8 years, but the rear cogs were worn to bits (first chain
> was on for five years or more) when I last took it through an LBS and
> the new chain is skipping on the front something horrid.

If you are just using it around town, on the road, etc,then invest in
THREE new chains with the new chain ring. Might also be advisable to
change your rear cluster. Rotate each of the chains
weekly/monthly/quarterly so they all wear down together.

Rule of thumb is that when the three chains are crud, so is your rear
cluster. Actually, depending on your choice of chain rings and rear
cluster, you could probably just replace the actual worn clogs, but i
find it easier just to replace the clusters.

>>>Now the *simple* solution, of buy a new bike, is domestically
>>>impossible.

>>Depends on the quality.?

> I'm on a two bike maximum. Its a rule I agree with. Even if I'd go on
> to get a new bike, this one needs to be recycled up to speed to be
> passed on to a friend and convert another inner urban person to riding.

There are rules and rules. It just depends on how they are counted {:).
I currently have five+ bicycle atm, it is just that swmbo doesn't
recognize the spare frames as bicycles. Actually two are in the process
of being stripped and two are in the process of being repainted and
rebuilt and only one stands ready to ride {:). OTOH, my dowry was
enough bike parts to build up a bike for swmbo from a new frame {:) and
I just buy yum-cha parts as part of my recreational budget.

> Good ideas. I think I'll spend my money on parts and tools, and do the
> labour myself.

Always a wise investment and an reason to collect a few on the street
{:). Best to learn on old stuff.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I can't unfortunately recommend a good Newcastle bike store. I used to
> go to the old one down the bottom of Beaumont Street run by the old
> mechanic, but he's closed now. Apart from that I was at the "barely
> able to change tyres" stage when I was last in Newcastle. You could try
> the bicycle shop in woy woy. They were very helpful when my gf bought
> her bike. Good online shop - www.bicyclestore.com.au/

Hi Sam,
I am a regular reader and occasional poster on aus.bicycle, and a resident
of Newcastle.

I agree with what the other replies have said. Any bike shop can replace
your bent axle. Try ringing them to get an idea of cost. I do not know from
your post where you live but assume somewhere in Newcastle area. I
personally like Hadley Cycles in Griffith Road Lambton.
http://www.hadleycycles.com.au/ There is Civic Bikes in 679Hunter Street
West near Wickham station and The Bicycle Centre on the corner of Darby and
King Sts Newcastle.
I bought a bike from Gateshead Cycles (20 Pacific Hwy Gateshead) about 8
years ago and
they were great but I don't know anything about the new owner who has the
business now. If you prefer the smaller one man shops I have heard good
reports about (the eccentric Frenchman) Maurice Mathe who has a cycle shop
across the road from Adamstown railway Station.

These guys could better explain your options if your chain ring is cactus
too. As other posters have said council kerbside rubbish collection time can
yield all sorts of gems. I have brought home a few over the years both for
spare parts and one that I commuted on for a couple of years.
If you think I can be of any help email me off list.
Regards
Peter Miller
Newcastle

On 2006-04-23, Random Data (aka Bruce)
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:01:11 +0000, Parbs wrote:
>
>> Gateshead Cycles ponied up to provide the price money for the State XC
>> up & Killingworth today so I'll give them a plug.

> Now I'm fairly sure Tim C and Stuart have been telling porkies. You
> weren't Goating in Melbourne on Friday were you?

I made a mistook. Jules, not Parbs.

Besides, it was the Friday before.

And stop taking conversations out of the monastery. :)

--
TimC
> aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes

And here I thought it was the fear of robotic Japanese dogs.
-- Tom "Tom" Harrington

Parbs wrote:

> Gateshead Cycles ponied up to provide the price money for the State XC
> up & Killingworth today so I'll give them a plug. I'm assuming they're
> in Newcastle but you can't tell from their website
> http://www.gatesheadcycles.com.au/ which it truely dreadful.

Gateshead cycles will be in Gateshead. hint http://www.whereis.com.au.
Just a bit of a problem if you go up by train and don't take your bicycle.

> Hadley Cycles gets mixed reports from the locals.

He was okay for my first bicycle (well better than the competition), but
that was over 30 years ago {:).

What is really funny about the Whereis map is that the trainline to the
right is a proposed bicycle route that was first proposed about the same
time.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:41:02 +0000, TimC wrote:

> And stop taking conversations out of the monastery. :)

I'd apologise, but I brought the attitude with me. Anyway, you took the
a.b. thing *there*, so <vicki pollard> don't you give me the evil <vicki>

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Thus leading us to the obvious conclusion that all software should look

Random Data wrote:

> Now I'm fairly sure Tim C and Stuart have been telling porkies. You
> weren't Goating in Melbourne on Friday were you?

I don't remember what I was doing on Friday, its possible I was goating
about but I'm very sure I wasn't in Melbourne. I've had the fortune not
to have to visit there for a couple of years now...

Parbs

On 2006-04-26, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> Random Data wrote:
>>
>> Now I'm fairly sure Tim C and Stuart have been telling porkies. You
>> weren't Goating in Melbourne on Friday were you?
>>

> I don't remember what I was doing on Friday, its possible I was goating
> about but I'm very sure I wasn't in Melbourne. I've had the fortune not
> to have to visit there for a couple of years now...

As long as you are implying "misfortune" rather than "good fortune" :)

Very diplomatic choice of words.

Occasionally, I'll say "have a day", reserving my judgments on whether
person in question should have a good one or not :)

--
TimC
"Legacy (adj): an uncomplimentary computer-industry epithet that